Movies

• 4 Replies

Daized

Movies
« on: January 26, 2020, 11:53:55 AM »
I have searched many times for movies representing covert narcissism. Most of the lists are movies with extreme grandiose and overt characters. I find it odd also that there seems to be more movies depicting women with nod than men.

Anyway, there are 3 movies that have helped me understand the male covert narc in my life as well as myself.
The wife
Big Fish
Wizard of Oz

Anyone else gain insight from these movies?
Any others you would recommend?

D.Dan

Re: Movies
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 11:30:08 AM »
For me it's like a type of validation to see a similar pwPD on the screen because you know someone ran into another person like that. Also, I can point out characters my PDs are like so people understand a bit easier.

I haven't actually seen the movies you listed but these are the ones my PDs are like.

-Single White Female
-Lord of the rings: the return of the king (scenes with Denethor and Faramir)
-Tangled (Mother Gothel)

Combine the behaviour of the roommate with Denethor, put them inside a tiny, frail looking old woman, you have my uPDmom. When she is happy and kind, she acts like Mother Gothel.

-Frozen (Hans)
-Fantastic Mr.Fox
-Sleeping with the enemy

My uPDex. He behaved like Hans, but did things like Mr.Fox. Chaos making hiding behind a gentle demeanour. After he confessed to "sexually exploiting a minor online", he started behaving like the husband in sleeping with the enemy which started setting off my danger instincts.

pianissimo

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2021, 05:57:59 PM »
I just realized that, in Analyze That (2002), Ben Sobel's (Billy Crystal) description of his father in the funeral speech matches narcissistic personality disorder:

"It's not easy for me to speak about my father, cause in a sense, I'm talking about two people. One is the public Issac Sobel, the eminent psychotherapist and popular author, known to millions of readers around the world. The second is the private man, my father. Dad. And for those who knew him well, and for those who knew our family well. Well, I don't have to tell you: He was a psychotic mind f...ing pr...k! An arrogant ego inflated son of a b...h! I wish you were alive so I could kill you. Rot in h.ll!"

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 06:06:10 PM by pianissimo »

Amedee

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 07:59:06 PM »
Sir John Gielgud in Brideshead Revisited.  https://youtu.be/-OZlJD8sOaU

This is so much like my Covert N father, itís triggering.  Except, here the passive aggressive Edward Ryder is actually making sort of sense.  With my father, conversations were mostly focussed on tripping me up and gaining the upper hand.

pianissimo

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 06:55:37 PM »
Notes on a scandal (2006) seems to be about narcissism. I watched it and liked it at the time, but the film seems a lot more interesting when you know about narcissism. In the film, Barbara Covett (Judie Dench) appears to have a narcissistic personality disorder. Sheba Hart (Cate Blanchet) is her victim. There are hints that Sheba's family of origin has a narcissistic dynamic.  To me, it seems like Sheba herself has narcissistic inclinations too. Sheba is not able to understand why she wants what she wants when she knows it is abusive.

I will check other films and TV series mentioned here. In relation to TV series, I think that Netflix has two prominent shows that draw from personality disorders. One of them is BoJack Horseman, and the other one is Rick&Morty. I find these fascinating because they are both hilarious and dramatic. I think the main characters are quite realistic depictions of NPD, in the sense that, they are not evil but they are not good either. I think these two shows deserve a thread of their own, but I refrain from doing this because I don't know where to start. I thought that, at least, I should mention them here.