Moving on

Started by Findingstrength729, February 21, 2020, 07:42:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Findingstrength729

What are yours best tips for moving on and not carrying the negativity with you to a new position?

Swarley

The basics: eat right, sleep enough, exercise. Embrace the new position with enthusiasm as a fresh start. Vent to old friends if you must and if that helps,  but make sure they have no connection to the new situation. Do something kind for yourself going in- buy a few new clothes, get a haircut, buy new sheets for your bed-something to mark that this is New and Different and Better than what you had before. I don't know how long you've been in your present position, but we can tend to acclimate ourselves to accept sometimes really awful work situations (frog in hot water syndrome). I think you'll find that just being Not in a horrible work environment will go a long way toward naturally dissipating the negativity on its own.

GettingOOTF

I had a really awful job. The stuff that happened there was crazy. When I left and moved to my new job I told myself that I wouldn't let the small things like politics or annoying colleagues get to me. I knew how bad it could be so I would no longer sweat the small stuff or get upset about things out of my control. I have kept my focus on my role. I've now been with this company for a while and I have done very well for myself. I put my old job behind me and reminded myself of my promise until it became a habit.