Article on parental estrangement.

Started by doglady, February 06, 2020, 04:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doglady

This article advising parents on how to cope with their adult children initiating  NC provoked a veritable firestorm of comments from readers, after which the writer had to do some serious back-pedalling.

I read her original article and the edited article is still 'interesting' to say the least, in what it advises parents. It is also very triggering to adult children who have initiated NC, as the comments demonstrate. Which is why I've posted the link because I think it's worth reading for the comments in particular. i hope it's ok to post this and I'm certainly not suggesting anyone should flame the writer - it looks at if she's been given a fair caning and, to her credit, has been able to take on the criticisms.

It's interesting that she also has a business that assists estranged parents. Some of her suggested strategies seemed quite manipulative to me, such as counting on the gentle nature of one's child or knowing that social pressure to remain in a FOO can be brought to bear.

I suggest it for interest only, and also to point out that adult children who have initiated NC are obviously well able to stand up for themselves against what a professional may state in a periodical. Some of these comments are just so articulate and heartfelt. All in all, it was a very interesting read and I'd be keen to know what others think.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/comment/1189677#comments_bottom

GettingOOTF

That was an interesting read. I can well imagine the original based in the edited.

My takeaway from this is that the writer feels adult children estrange for nebulous, unknowable reasons and that if you just wait for them to "grow up" the estrangement will end once they see sense.