Accepting myself

Started by djcleo, February 10, 2020, 11:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djcleo

I was told I'm gifted by a psychologist in September. I am in my thirties. Didn't know. I also wonder if I have adhd.

I'm also pretty overwhelmed with life right now.

I tried therapy, but the psychologist was not able to keep appointments and now I'm confused. I'm trying to find someone to test me for gifted and adhd. Does it even matter?

I'm also worried about my marriage because our communication is poor and we have a lot to work on.

I want to work on it, but what if it's just stress?

What if I'm causing my own problems?

I feel like I was doing ok without therapy and then that psychologist brought up a lot of things like potential adhd and gifted and I don't know who I can even talk to anymore.

If she could keep appointments maybe I'd go back.

rubixcube

I'm really sorry to hear all this DjCleo :(
I know the feeling of self doubt you seem to be expressing. It's a terribly lonely place to be, with no support at home or from a counselor.

Any chance of finding a new therapist?

And personally, I don't think the tests for gifted or adhd really matter. If you wanted to go for your own knowledge, great, but does it all make a difference; probably not.
And I seriously doubt that you're causing all your own problems. Maybe some, sure. But I doubt you're causing all of them. That's a lot of weight to put on yourself(I do the same thing, btw).

Hang in there! You seem to have been around here a lot longer than I have so I'm sure you know the value of Out of the FOG.

athene1399

QuoteI want to work on it, but what if it's just stress?
If you mean that you are lashing out at others due to stress, then try to work on being mindful of your emotions and work on what helps you when you are stressed. Maybe figure out a self-care routine. What helps you to feel less anxious? Can you find a healthy way to express your emotions?

With the being gifted and maybe having ADD, what would change if you found out you had these? Would anything change? Do these labels matter to you? If you feel they are just labels that don't carry weight, then don't worry about it. If it is important to you, then get tested. IF you aren't sure, maybe start by weighing the pros and cons of wanting to find out and not wanting to find out. It will help you think about it.

It sounds to me like this psychologist was not a good fit for you if they were missing appointment. Maybe try to find another one.

At any rate, I hope you feel better soon!