I need a new church because of Coronavirus.

Started by 1footouttadefog, February 10, 2020, 11:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1footouttadefog

I attend a pretty decent church.  However I have over the past few years felt like it is increasingly less of a match.  Alot of the old members have passed on and it is they I felt the most connection with.  The newer and younger members who are still decades older than myself seem less of a match in many ways.  Most seem to be baby boomer aged folks tuned into retirent and cruises and sports and golf .  Little talk of spiritual matters , little interest in service, Bible studies etc. 

I had a moment of clarity when I went home for the second week in a row having heard not a word about what is going on in China.  I mentioned it in coffee hour only to be treated like an alarmist that was trying to harsh everyone Mello.

I merely said that it was worrying. 

This was a realization I am not a match for them.  I will serve out my service position year til June,  and look for a new church.  Or start a home fellowship.

SonofThunder

1foot, i am so sorry you are experiencing difficulties with your place of gathering and wish you the best in finding a new community of people who are like minded in certain ways.  Brick and mortar gatherings of people are not in my personal wheelhouse at this time, as i have had many issues with past congregations. 

Instead i have found community elsewhere within the larger un-gathered 'church' that are in my daily life and also online in certain areas.  I am a fanboy of faith in, and growing relationship with Christ, but am not a fan of religion.  Again, my good wishes and also prayers for you, my fellow member of the 'church'. 

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

StayWithMe

There are churches that do missions. Even if the don't go to the far east, it seems their international outlook would lead them to do something about this latest pandemic.

FogDawg

Quote from: 1footouttadefog on February 10, 2020, 11:59:42 AM
Most seem to be baby boomer aged folks tuned into retirent and cruises and sports and golf .  Little talk of spiritual matters , little interest in service, Bible studies etc. 

I had a moment of clarity when I went home for the second week in a row having heard not a word about what is going on in China.  I mentioned it in coffee hour only to be treated like an alarmist that was trying to harsh everyone Mello.

In other words, they are using the church as a gathering place and are fake as can be. These people are the sort who think that setting foot inside is good enough, since others will see them entering and believe them to be devout, when they are merely putting on a show and acting solely in their own interests. I would be willing to bet my last few dollars that a good amount of them have adult children who have severed ties. It really is sad that they would give no thought to the suffering of those in China and the others affected. To act like you are some sort of scaremonger for wanting to acknowledge what is happening is incredibly wrong. Church is only a place and there is nothing wrong with worshipping on your own if that is what you later decide; it would beat being surrounded by a bunch of hypocrites who do not practice what they profess to believe, that is for sure.

Andeza

I have needed to find a new church in the past because of the following reasons:

Overhearing discussions of how great this or that movie (r rated) was the moment services were over.

A church where people came up to my DH, who needed a wheelchair at the time, and told him if he had enough faith God would make him whole. My favorite response of his? "Well, God put me in this chair, He can do what He wants." Usually left them scratching their heads.

Having a multilevel marketing rep try to rope in my DH and I. The church was too big to notice what was happening.

Mega church that talked less about God and more about political correctness.

The church we really liked closed because the pastor was called into full time missions. I was sad. I liked that one. But he must do as he is called, and since then we've just not been all in on the idea of "church" in its traditional sense.

I've struggled with the levels of self absorption in other members, I've been frustrated by a bunch of supposed adults acting like ostriches and sticking their heads in the sand. I think many in my generation are feeling the same disconnect. Church, for most, exists within the walls of the building for a set amount of time, and then it's back to business as usual. Our faith is supposed to be a way of life, a daily walk.

I feel your frustration. I too follow the news and monitor the situation. You know what they're going through over there has to be horrible. So many people sick, and dying, and the medical facilities and personnel are struggling to keep up. You're not an alarmist, or fear monger for taking note of a real situation that we should all be praying about. It's not like you're running around telling people to stock up on masks and food.

We are supposed to care. After all, He did say love your neighbor.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Adria

I am so sorry.  Dh and I find it very difficult to find a decent church these days as well.  I have been so burdened in my heart about this human trafficking thing going on in our country and around the world.  One day I went to church to talk to one of the outreach leaders about starting some kind of mission to fight against it. The woman told me, that it was to be swept under the carpet!!! I about fell over in disgust.  Yeah, I bet she'd like to sweep it under the carpet if it were her daughter that was taken and sold.  Sometimes, ya can't make it up. :stars:

Anyway, I do hope you find a new church where you feel like you fit in and find friends.  It may take a few tries, but I'm sure you will find the right one.
For a flower to blossom, it must rise from the dirt.