Equanimity - Theravada Buddhist Perspective

Started by Tried2bZen, March 22, 2020, 08:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tried2bZen

I came across this extremely helpful article from the Buddhist magazine Tricycle by Gil Fronsdale and Sayadaw U Pandita on ultimately only being able to save yourself:

"One reflection that can develop nonattachment is to regard all beings as the heirs of their own karma. People reap the rewards of good karma and suffer the consequences of unwholesome acts. They created this karma under their own volition, and no one can prevent their experiencing the consequences. On the ultimate level, there is nothing you or anybody else can do to save them."

https://tricycle.org/magazine/perfect-balance/

Latchkey

Thank you for this. Very important. I just pulled this quote out, but so much good to read in that article. 

QuoteInsight is a deep seeing into the nature of things as they are. One of the primary insights is the nature of impermanence. In the deepest forms of insight, we see that things change so quickly that we can't hold onto anything, and eventually the mind lets go of clinging. Letting go brings equanimity; the greater the letting go, the deeper the equanimity.
What is your plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
-
I can be changed by what happens to me but I refuse to be reduced by it.
-Maya Angelou
-
When we have the courage to do what we need to do, we unleash mighty forces that come to our aid.