my PCP thinks I need PTSD therapy

Started by lindentree, February 18, 2020, 03:32:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lindentree

I've been Out of the FOG for four years now (thanks to therapy, books on BPD and NPD, and this website) but now starting medication for anxiety/depression probably mostly due to leaving my career and becoming a SAHM. When I was in the FOG, It has brought out a lot of anger/rage, which is a common PP symptom, and when I brought it up with my PCP and casually mentioned I've been working through PD in my FOO, he suggested I also have my therapist refer me to someone who can help me with PTSD/disregulation. He says if I was abused growing up, this anger is PTSD. Do you think I should look into this? I've heard about cognitive processing therapy for PTSD. Other books/therapy approaches?  Thanks.

Amadahy

I can not recommend EMDR highly enough. Best wishes. :hug:
Ring the bells that still can ring;
Forget your perfect offering.
There's a crack in everything ~~
That's how the Light gets in!

~~ Leonard Cohen

Sweetbriar

I want to respond because I relate to much of what you write. My therapist has said that I meet all symptoms for C-PTSD and I am not sure what is the best approach. Can anyone tell me more about EMDR? I keep hearing good things about it.

I experience dysregulation cyclically, and it worsens with my menstrual cycle. Worse than ever as I move into menopause. I get irritable, sometimes angry but then I slide into what looks like days of depression. I left my job after years and I am a SAHM now. I find it hard to engage with the world, like take a volunteer position, because the cycles of depression come and go and affect my consistency.

I have noticed that my symptoms are improving in one respect, the seem less since I've gone NC. I am hoping more time keeping my cortisol from flying, due to the stress from FOO will help me begin to heal this, but I wonder what other options there are.

sandpiper

http://pete-walker.com/
The Pete Walker website helped me, more than any other resource, I think. I was diagnosed with PTSD in my early 20s and I had a couple of years of therapy, which helped me to get my life on track. I had a flare-up when I was in my forties which was severely aggravated by my family's refusal to accept that what happened to me had actually happened. Lots of functioning alcoholics, workaholics and prescription med addicts in my FOO.
Therapy, group, these boards, a lot of journalling and you need to set goals around self-care. Exercise and good nutrition and building good boundaries and relationships.
There's some great books in the resources kit here.
I think it's integral to recovery to take a big step back from toxic relationships, esp. FOO that aren't going to support you. C-PTSD is dangerous and I know people who've had it who have died by self-harm. Being around FOO exacerbates my symptoms, so much so that 20 years ago a therapist actually asked me 'Piper, would you have these problems if you weren't around your family?' She said it was against her code of conduct to advise but she actually told me that in extreme cases she felt it was necessary to advise, and she herself had moved half a globe away from her family to be at a *safe* distance from the harm that they do.
Best advice I've ever had.
I am forever grateful to the good souls I met at these boards who assured me that while it is hard work, it is possible to recover and to thrive. It takes time and you need good support, which I didn't have, but I got through it.
I found that journalling really helped, too.
Writing, art, yoga.
But yes, the PMS was brutal. It helps to get good nutrition happening - google 'hypoglycaemic diet' . I'm mostly vegetarian and have found that it really helped to get the heavily processed and refined foods out of my diet. Caffeine, alcohol and sugar were really bad for me and I still have to remind myself not to go there & to choose the healthy option, when I'm having a bad day.