Anyone Familiar with Byron Katie and The Work?

Started by Spring Butterfly, February 16, 2020, 06:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spring Butterfly

This is an old thread and someone just introduced me to Byron Katie. I was wondering if anyone else has used her methods and if you've found it successful? Any tips?

https://thework.com/instruction-the-work-byron-katie/
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage — prep beforehand and make time after to heal
blog for healing

Spring Butterfly

This is thread below is the only thing I found here and wondering if anyone had more recent experience or thoughts.

https://www.outofthefog.net/forum/index.php?topic=72999.0
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage — prep beforehand and make time after to heal
blog for healing

LemonLime

I know this is an old thread, but I'm just starting some of Katie's work.  I've watched a couple videos on her website of her doing The Work with an audience participant.
My T led me through Judge Your Neighbor worksheet last week and she asked me to do some more of the worksheets before our next session.  I find it a bit emotionally exhausting, but I really do see what she means about Freedom.   We cannot change our very emotionally immature and limited family members.  And it's not Radical Approval, it's Radical Acceptance.   I am beginning to understand the difference.   It's hard work.....guess that's why the Work gets the capital W !!
Would love to hear if others have done The Work and what they've found.

1footouttadefog

It's sounds like a drill down of some more complicated approaches to therapy. 

I will look into it more.

LemonLime

Thanks 1Foot,
I started a new thread too, in case you're interested.

notrightinthehead

After reading this post I watched some of her sessions and read her worksheets. It is similar to REBT and I can see that it has benefits for self awareness,  recognition of fallacies of the own belief system. She is excellent in her life sessions and uses some Eriksonian techniques as well.
She also stops difficult questions, like what to do in a situation of rape, very elegantly.
For traumatized people, who are good at gaslighting themselves and open to being gaslight by their abusers, I fear this method is bad.  Had I used the neighbour worksheet while in the middle of my marriage, I would have only felt more confused by the gap between reality and expectations and my inability to merge them. But then, maybe I wasn't doing it right?
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Spring Butterfly

Quote from: notrightinthehead on September 22, 2022, 02:53:03 AMFor traumatized people, who are good at gaslighting themselves and open to being gaslight by their abusers, I fear this method is bad.  Had I used the neighbour worksheet while in the middle of my marriage, I would have only felt more confused by the gap between reality and expectations and my inability to merge them. But then, maybe I wasn’t doing it right?
I understand what you mean and how that could happen with that work sheet. It's been some time and from what I remember it helped me understand the disordered people in my life were unable to fulfill my needs and wants. What I was expecting of them was beyond their capacity to offer. It also help me understand that their reality was very different from my reality. I had trouble with "turn the thought around" but after a few tries I realized they were telling me their truth, their reality, and I chose not to believe it.

Thanks LemonLime for starting this new thread: https://www.outofthefog.net/forum/index.php?topic=92122
blog for healing