TV series Who the (Bleep) Did I Marry?

Started by SeaBreeze, February 20, 2020, 12:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaBreeze

Been watching a series called "Who the (Bleep) Did I Marry?" Part interview, part re-enactment, each episode depicts a real life story of a Prince or Princess Charming who turned out to be a con artist, thief, abuser, rapist, pedophile, murderer... In some cases the duped spouse or their children also became unfortunate victims of these crimes. In others, the family was the psychopath's cover to maintain the illusion of Family Man or Doting Wife/Mother.

The series takes an almost "dark comic" approach yet the real life accounts are chilling, even triggering. The interviews sound like posts on Out of the FOG, with survivors describing what is clearly (to any of us who've studied the Toolbox) lovebombing, mirroring, triangulation, gaslighting, push/pull, isolation, chaos manufacture and more at the hands of a PD spouse. Many didn't catch red flags until in retrospect, or they saw the red flags but ignored or dismissed it as "I thought maybe I was the one with the problem." Sound familiar?

Hulu is currently streaming seasons 4 to 6 (yes, sadly they've found 6 seasons worth of material). Maybe entertaining to some viewers seeking sensationalism, but I think it can also be educational and informative on what to look for in a new relationship or potential partner, or what red flags indicate it's time to GTFO before things escalate and get worse.

I'm watching this series when my uNPDh is not at home, and I catch myself making knowing remarks out loud, cussing, OMG-ing, etc at the sheer evil on display.