Not Divorced Yet

Started by Kat54, February 24, 2020, 04:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat54

The last conversation with my lawyer was in early December. We were finishing the last thing for our divorce. Which was my ex buying me out of our house and then he said we would have to meet in court one more time and the judge would sign off on the divorce. I got a check for the amount I was getting out of the house and have been looking for a home. Upon getting a pre-approval for a mortgage, the bank I'm dealing with informed me I can't sign any agreement until my divorce is finalized. They need to see the divorce papers. If I buy a new home before the divorce is final it's a marital asset? 

I'm so tired, have not heard a word from my lawyer. I emailed him last week asking if there is anything out standing that might be holding this up. Not a peep...
Guess I'm going to have to call him now. If it's anything with my ex that's stalling this last part, I'll start throwing things at the house. I live right behind it in my sisters summer cottage. It's so frustrating; I'm right at the finish line and can't get across. Having my own home away from him will be my dream come true.

Mitchy

Oh, Kat! How frustrating. I hope you hear from your attorney soon and get that straightened out quickly.

Best of luck. And let me know how you did getting this to happen. I filed in October and we have yet to get close to an agreement. And, honestly, I'm afraid to contact my attorney unless I have a lot. Those little charges for every phone call and email add up quickly.

pushit

Sorry to hear about that, I can understand your frustration.

Just throwing my $.02 in here based on my experience (but talk to your lawyer don't listen to me).  I just bought a house after our divorce was final, and the lender required me to submit my divorce paperwork.  I would assume that if you buy it before the divorce is final it would be marital property.

Remember the name of the game for the PD is control.  Try your best to not let this get to you.   He can only control the situation (and your purchase) temporarily, eventually you will be able to buy a house without his interference.