Facebook Post need help responding to.

Started by ICantThinkOfAName, March 26, 2020, 09:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ICantThinkOfAName

Hey everyone!  Haven't posted in this group yet, but not really sure where to put this as it's an unusual topic.  I want to post a response on Facebook to a meme that is going around about how high school seniors should not feel bad about not graduating because the high schoolers in 1964 - 1971 who went to Vietnam didn't get a high school graduation.  My daughter is graduating this year and she is very upset about it and her dad my exNPD sent her this meme.  I did tell her that it's ok to feel sad about it and in fact we joked that yeah the folks in the Holocost and those that died in Pompeii probably had it worse.  It doesn't mean that she doesn't have a right to feel sad about it.  I want to make a blanket post about this not in response to my ex but in support of my daughter.  Problem is that he will probably see it and I don't want to make him feel bad for sending it.  I don't want to critique his parenting in front of my daughter(maybe I already did?).  But I also want to show my daughter I care.  Is there a way to address the issue and word it in a way that doesn't sound like an attack?  Should I simply just say... I'm sorry that you don't get to have ceremony?  Leave it at that?  The meme just boils my blood, outright dismissing of an entire group of people's feelings because they didn't have it as bad. 

GettingOOTF

I have never found that engaging online and responding to memes results in any positive outcome or change in behavior.

I would address this directly with your daughter. Let her know you understand how she feels and that it's ok to be upset.

It will likely be worse for her if she (and all her FB friends) gets to see her parents involved in a public FB spat.

Her father sounds insensitive. I would bet money that he posted that to get reaction. People are stuck at home, bored and stressed. It's the perfect storm for immature people to post provocative crap online. Don't take the bait. 

ICantThinkOfAName

yeah you are right Out of the FOG.  Nothing good will come of it.  I can't think of a way to address it and not have it look like a spat on Facebook.  LOL. 

BeautifulCrazy

If you are talking about responding to something a PD has said, done or posted, the best response is No Response At All. Medium Chill. Grey Rock.
Just offer support and condolences and reassurance to your daughter and leave it at that. The Year A Coronavirus Cancelled Everything is going to be a hugely memorable and dramatic event anyway. One day it's going to be a great story and much more unique than any cliche graduation celebration.
If someone is experiencing the fear of missing out, maybe you can do something fantastic on your own to commemorate the event?
Some ideas:
- host a virtual dance party online
- decorate the house and have some crazy good party food
- enlist your friends and family to write commemorative and encouraging letters to mark the milestone, then meet as a group online to read them out loud to her.

Don't make anything more of an issue than it needs to be.
:bighug:

ICantThinkOfAName

Those are some great ideas.  I like the decorating thing.