Faking Covid

Started by Free2Bme, March 30, 2020, 03:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Free2Bme

I'm hearing really sad stories on the media of how Covid-19 has impacted the health of people around the nation/world, even tragic death.  I am annoyed because of all the people that are truly suffering right now, I hear from DS17 (lives w/updxh) that my updxh claims that he had Corona last week (for a few days) but is has made a full recovery in record time.   :doh:

I'm curious if anyone else is getting reports of Covid sickness from those who are not exactly known for truthfulness. How are you handling it?

In 20 years of marriage, numerous times he faked illness for sympathy, attention, or get out of jail free.  I fell for it for longer than I care to admit, but eventually saw the pattern.  What clued me in is that the symptoms he would often report were not tangible ones that I could verify or observe, ie., fever, vomiting, etc.  Then, magically, *poof* he would be better. I am a caretaker by nature, and very compassionate, so I was duped for many years and have -0- sympathy.   He is now using DS17 for sympathy, making him the town crier to tell siblings that he has been sick, calling DD21 bending her ear with all the details of his 'illness". 

My internal reaction was "unlikely story", but to DS17 who is in the FOG, the GC and dad's puppet of choice, I cannot say much more than "oh really...hmmm", otherwise DS becomes defensive of F.  I am frustrated that DS17 chooses to buy into F's lies. 

It seems this turned into more of a vent than a question, sorry.  I think my frustration stems from the place my son is at and I am so fearful that he is gonna end up either like his dad (well on the way), in the FOG indefinitely, or estranging himself from me because of toxic F who has been alienating him pre-divorce.  It's really underlying pain, worry, grief and fear processed/expressed as annoyance.

I know many of you are so much farther down the recovery road than me,  however I still feel so much responsibility in all of this, but I can't fix it for my children, and not much control over the situation.

.....sigh.

GettingOOTF

I haven't heard this from anyone in my circle but I've read numerous news articles about people being arrested in the US and in the UK for claiming to have it and making others scared that they do.

Times like this rarely bring out the best in people and it's a perfect time for abusers as they use fear and threats to abuse and control.

The virus is highly contagious. If one person in a family has it then the rest will get it unless that person isolates. My friend didn't know he had it as he had no symptoms in the beginning. He gave it to his wife and two kids. Luckily they are all ok. Another friend who is a nurse had all the symptoms and she isolated alone in her room. The kids spoke to her through her door and her husband left her meals outside the bedroom door. If she needed anything she texted him and he left it outside her door. When she left the room to go outside they all stayed in another bedroom. If someone who claims to have it isn't taking these precautions then it's likely they don't have it.

SparkStillLit

Over here!!! Not coming right out with it, but all these veiled suggestions and much "coughing" which weirdly disappears when nobody is nearby.
Hmmmm indeed.

pushit

Same deal here.  My exPDw had the kids over spring break, and told everyone she could that they all had it.  (and then made it clear how she nursed them all back to health)  When I got the kids I casually asked about their symptoms - diarrhea, a slight cough, the youngest had the sniffles.  It doesn't add up, but it's on par with exPDw's past, create the drama and look like a hero.  It's the same pattern - scream from the rooftops about something (nothing) and then tell everyone how you fixed it.

p123

Oh Dad will be convinced hes got it soon. Waiting for it to happen,

Then he'll be like "I'm calling the doctor" or "come and take me to hospital". Then he'll work out if doesnt work like that.

Bowsy26

No Covid claims yet, but dxnpdh has actually been sick for over 2 weeks with cold and cough symptoms.  He just got off the phone with the doctor because he woke up sicker again yesterday and then a bit worse today.  I overhead the conversation (was sitting in the next room) and he never mentioned in what way he is sicker (nasal congestion and today plugged ears) to the person calling him back.  He just says "I feel worse".  So they told him to buy Zyrtec... :stars:.  This is likely a sinus infection which he is prone to.  Hmmm, he might have withheld that info from the doctor's office just to annoy me realizing that I was within earshot.  He likes to annoy people and keeps a smile on his face while doing it. 

There have been several instances over the years where he does get "fake" sick or injured.  He had a knee replacement last year and the night before he was doing a ballroom dance including "dips".   :aaauuugh:  He only limped when there was someone from his workplace around, never on our walks which included 2 to 3 mile hikes.  He is very good at convincing doctors of whatever he wants.  I suspect he uses the internet to look up symptoms of whatever he is wanting to convince the doctor he has. 

A few years back, after a fake suicide attempt (no, he never actually attempted suicide, he just pretended he had), I told him that for any future medical issues he has, I'm just calling 911 and let him deal with the paramedics.