GREAT Video for Parents Dr Todd Grande

Started by momnthefog, March 11, 2020, 08:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

momnthefog

Great video for parents.  Focus is on adult daughter/son and parent releationship.  One of the few videos I've seen addressing this issue from parent/child dynamic. 

10 Signs of a Daughter with High Trait of Narcissism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy3j6ZJidV8&spfreload=10

1.  Constantly wanting/needing approval.  Trying to impress teachers, parents.

2.  Not directable. 

3. All criticism or advice is almost always poorly received and not followed....generally magnifies and distorts criticism. 

4.  Over jealousy of siblings.  You love them more than me. 

5.  Taking sides with one parent against the other parent, generally very mean spirited and antagonistic.  Can be basis for grudge held forever.

6.  Over use of social media.  Dramatic use to get attention, play victim or lash out at parents and family.

7.  Job difficulties, getting along with others, supervisors, lack of respect for chain of command.

8.  Extremely focused on appearances of all kinds (physical, psychological, emotional, financial, parenting) and being better than parents in these areas.

9.  Believes parents are jealous of them.  Or creates jealousy or envy by saying my in-laws are parents I never had....or jealousy of their child (you love your grandchild more than you love me).   Weaponizes relationship with grandchildren.  Jealous of own child.

10.  Daughter seems to be highly interested in inheritance.  Interested in parent's money and spending b/c less money for her.   

Will be curious how many of you see these characteristics in your adult children.

momnthefog
"She made broken look beautiful and strong look invincible.  She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like a pair of wings."

BigBird

Thanks for the attached video of this.
It's so hard trying to figure out what exactly the problem is when you've got a daughter you believe has a severe PD but unless she is willing to go in for an indepth evaluation you can never know for sure what the problem is or if there is something that can help.  And since those with PD's aren't willing to take those steps with counseling and evaluation it's unlikely anything can improve.
Also after reading a few of the comments of those who watch his video it's always disturbing when it's more common than not that a NPD child is a result of terrible parenting.  As a parent who believes has one child that is NPD out of 5 children it can be very hurtful when others think "You must be a terrible parent to have such a child" as well as sometimes doubting yourself whether it was your own fault or not.  After years of struggling with a child and going through much counseling to find solutions I feel for all the parents out there who have similar situations as my wife and I have had with a difficult child with this situation.  There becomes a point when you have to give up and realize that you can't control what such a child says over social media or one on one as she gives her one sided slanted story of her parents and siblings, you just have to stop careing what others might think and just be satisfied knowing the truth of the matter.
Thanks for sharing this video.  There really isn't enough of talks like this about adult daughters who are NPD with normal loving parents who try to do everything they can.  I wish there were more and I wish there was a satisfactory solution for parents suffering through this.
BB

momnthefog

"She made broken look beautiful and strong look invincible.  She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like a pair of wings."