Editing old posts - safety related

Started by SunnyMeadow, March 14, 2020, 09:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunnyMeadow

Ok, so lavandar posted a topic in Dealing with PD Parents that was closed for moderator review. The last post mentioned a PD parent posting here. This kind of set off my anxiety. I have this feeling from time to time and wonder if my PD person could find me here.

Is there a way for us to modify/edit old posts or once that short time frame closes...that's it?? I know I can edit within 30 minutes or maybe an hour, but that's it? I would hate to lose the record of all I've written but kind of feel I'd be safer if I could change some things to be less identifiable.

What do y'all think?  :unsure:

NumbLotus

The policy baffles me. I felt very unsafe for a while, but now I see my H is so out of it he won't find this. (He used to snoop).

Most forums you can edit anytime. But this very sensitive topic you can't, it's bizarre. There could easily be literal safety issues, but no.

You're allowed to request up to three posts to be removed. Beyond that, you are offered "hopes and prayers" that your abuser won't mind your other posts.
Just a castaway, an island lost at sea
Another lonely day, noone here but me
More loneliness than any man could bear

SunnyMeadow

Agree Lotus, very bizarre. I've even thought of completely deleting my account and asking for the mods to wipe out all posts. Is that an option?

But I just reached Senior Member status at 500 posts and well, I'm feeling part of the club  :bigwink: But seriously, mods please help with this!

SunnyMeadow

The removing only 3 posts thing, how is this done? Do I send links to a mod? I have a feeling I might need to do more than 3.

My anxiety is really ramped up with the corona stuff going on so I know that's setting me off more than normal. So I know I may be just being overly sensitive and I'm sorry if my post sets anyone else's anxiety into overdrive. But is it possible to do a change to the editing feature?

NumbLotus

Yes, contact a moderator. You could also just hit REPORT POST and make the request on that form.

You can ask for your account to be deleted, but your posts will remain. However, this is still an option to consider, and here is why: when your account is deleted, your username will change to something like "Guest(number)". You will no longer have a profile, so nobody can just hit "Show all posts" for your account. So somebody stumbling upon your post would have to work to manually find your other posts, just by reading everything on the board.

If you delete, clear you browser history and eveything so there is no trace left on your device.

You'd want to choose the 3 posts that have the most identifying details to get rid of.

We'd miss you but do what you think you need to do. You can come back and you'll get a warm welcome, even if nobody knows who you are.

NumbLotus

Oh, also - you do what you need to do, but since you are feeling ramped up on anxiety, I recommend you wait and stick around.

If you have real reason to make a move, do it, but if you're just anxious, maybe just oull back on posting details about yourself snd wait and see.

Oh, btw, they do delete ALL posts after 5 years.

SunnyMeadow

:yourock: thanks Lotus! You've given me good information. I'll sit with my questions and anxiety for a bit and see how I can work around it.

NumbLotus

SunnyMeadow

Mods - Could I get some help with this? Thanks

xredshoesx

the guidelines for mods/ admins editing posts are very specific and posted below.  deleting/ deactivating an account will not delete the posts associated with it, but it will make them not-searchable.  there is no plan to change the edit time frame for members to self edit posts.   please carefully consider what you are posting as members have the onus to be responsible to not out themselves. 

Confidentiality:

Confidentiality is important to the safety of everybody on our board.  It is strongly recommended that members not directly or indirectly disclose their own identity.  It's not uncommon for members to discover that the person with a personality disorder in their life has been reading at this site.

You are also discouraged from registering with a user name, email address or avatar that could be recognized.  Sites such as Yahoo and Google offer free anonymous email hosting.   You are strongly encouraged not to register using any email address that other people may have access to as the board will occasionally send information about your account to that address.

Please don't post any information that directly or indirectly discloses the identity of family members, friends or relationship partners.  This includes (but is not limited to) direct information such as real names, photographs, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, etc., as well as, indirect information such as pet names, local venues, etc.

If you should accidentally post information which compromises the confidentiality of yourself or someone close to you, you may contact a moderator or administrator designating the specific confidential information to be removed.  One administrative edit, of up to a maximum of 3 posts, will be given to each member.  After the first request, subsequent requests to edit posts by the same member will be denied.

Do not copy the contents of any personal or legal communications, documents, written correspondence, email, social media posts, personal messages, texts and recorded conversations verbatim into posts.

Members having off-board information about another member shall not disclose it.

Do not solicit personal contact information from other members on the boards or in PM, as this is considered a violation of privacy.  If someone volunteers their information in a personal context, it is their right to do so, but you are under no obligation to reciprocate.   Please respect the privacy of others as you wish your own privacy to be respected.   If someone solicits personal contact information from you and the solicitation makes you uncomfortable in any way, you are encouraged to report the incident to any Moderator or Administrator.

Any information posted which reveals identifying information about another individual will be modified or removed by the moderators.

SunnyMeadow

Quote from: xredshoesx on March 14, 2020, 06:02:27 PM
there is no plan to change the edit time frame for members to self edit posts.

thank you.

moglow

Reminder:
One administrative edit, of up to a maximum of 3 posts, will be given to each member.  After the first request, subsequent requests to edit posts by the same member will be denied.
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Jolie40

tough one !

tried to edit my first few posts here only to find out there is a time limit on edits
often I reread posts next day & edit if feel I posted tmi

used to being allowed to edit/delete on other forums
(my favorite forum feature)

other forums have private areas where it's easier to share more personal info
maybe this forum does but only with so many posts?

I like the private areas as it's easier to share more

so wanting to like/agree with some posts on here but doesn't look like this forum has that feature

be good to yourself

Spring Butterfly

You are correct all posts are public and readable, there is no private general member area. That's why the guidelines and registration agreement clearly outline caution recommendationed ways you might protect your anonymity.
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage — prep beforehand and make time after to heal
blog for healing