Using Coronavirus to hs own advantage

Started by p123, March 16, 2020, 07:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p123

Quote from: nanotech on April 14, 2020, 07:18:14 AM
I've read on here that when you ring them, have a solid reason for ending the call after a short time.
What I find with my dad, is that he starts off OK, normal even, but it's a slippery slope into grim pessimism as the call continues, which gradually starts to  pull me further down the rabbit hole, further into the weird world of his disorder.
He picks the news information to pieces, his voice takes on victim mode and he wants reassurance from me. Er hello we are all affected by this dad. He analyses it all in depth then looks to me for saving him! Ugh.
I watch the news, but not all day. Dad is obsessed,and that drags me down.
He's desperately looking for someone to blame. Tricky for him, when the whole world is affected. I'm surprised he hasn't managed to blame gay people. Lol.

Ha ha oh yes. Dad was convinced the other day he had it because he'd seen something on the news. Guess who had to spend the time telling him he didn't. Hes not been out for almost a month now so I think hes OK!

Dad is the other way starts off moaning. First sentence "I've been ill" then "I've been stuck in for weeks". Croaky ill voice then gets forgotten about after a minute.

Andeza

Quote from: p123 on April 15, 2020, 03:23:57 AM
Guess who had to spend the time telling him he didn't.

A doctor, definitely not you, my friend.

"Oh, Lord, I feel SOOOO ill, I think I've got the Covid! (Insert litany of details of symptoms he read somewhere and that you definitely don't want to sit and listen to) You had better bring me my favorite food to hold me over!"
"Oh wow, Dad, welp, you had better self isolate for two weeks. Get tested, yeah? (It's super unpleasant still) Have fun watching TV, see you when the whole pandemic is over. Buh-bye."  :bigwink: :yes:

Truth is, yeah, he could have it. Guidelines now state this stupid virus can stay airborne for 13 feet, be carried on shoes, etc. But if he even so much as breathes the words "It might be corona..." That's your prime opportunity to say you definitely are not coming for two-four weeks. You have to put your family's health and safety first. :bigwink: If you did that every single time he says he's sick from now till the end of the year, I think you'll save a small fortune on gas if you do! When they say they're sick, I encourage everyone to take them at face value on it and - stay away. :yourock:  :cheer: We'll get through this, but it'll be easier if we're not serving as a punching bag for personality disordered individuals who can't cope with their own emotions about the situation and rely on us to do all the coping for them. Which just stresses us out.

Good luck, p123. I know you haven't been going over as much/at all. Enjoy your freedom!  :drinks:
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

NumbLotus

I wouldn't plant any timeline whatsoever - teo to four weeks means you'll be seeing him precisely 14 days from now, yeah? (No.)

But, "since you're sick, we have to be even more careful. Won't be able to see you for a while. How long? Don't know, for starters it depends on how long it lasts, plus there needs to be an additional period for the virus to clear the system. I hear people have been having it for weeks."
Just a castaway, an island lost at sea
Another lonely day, noone here but me
More loneliness than any man could bear

Andeza

Excellent point, NumbLotus. Additionally, some people get it twice. It wouldn't be hard to stretch it to months upon months of no face-to-face contact.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Spring Butterfly

Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage — prep beforehand and make time after to heal
blog for healing