Ethical dilemma at work

Started by Amadahy, March 26, 2020, 03:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amadahy

Hi, y'all,

Hope everyone is well.

COVID-19 has impacted us all. My family has been self-quarantined for one week because someone who was working on our remodel works with someone being tested. Results are pending, but I let my work know right away.

I am a hospice chaplain. The culture of my workplace is secretive, backbiting, gaslighting, all the things we know so well in PD land. Nurses got one mask last week. Other clinical staff have no PPE. There has been zero guidance on visits.

More than likely, I would be ok, but I worry about carrying the virus to my patients or my family. The self-quarantine has given me reprieve, but I need to decide what to do.

I could go back (after 14 day quarantine) and pretend with everyone else this is no big deal. I'd sleep in my car to protect my family.

I could give notice and resign — except I'd have the problem of the above scenario.

I could talk to bosses about voluntary layoff, but if others were laid off then I would be the scapegoat. Again, no one else is taking seriously. Our medical director said this is "a very bad flu."

I could quit. Just write a letter of apology for no notice, explain in terms that don't blame and just walk away.

We have six - nine months of savings.

Any thoughts? I'm so sad because If I quit I won't get to tell my folks goodbye. Many are not lucid, but I still think they have awareness on some level that they are loved and cared for.

Thank you :hug:
Ring the bells that still can ring;
Forget your perfect offering.
There's a crack in everything ~~
That's how the Light gets in!

~~ Leonard Cohen

Amadahy

Yeah...a hard one! Lol.

I've asked my company to take a voluntary layoff. We shall see!

Be well! ❤️

~~ Leonard Cohen

Amadahy

No to the voluntary layoff. 😞

~~ Leonard Cohen

GettingOOTF

How far are you into the voluntary quarantine?

A lot can change in two weeks. Currently this is impacting major cities in the US so vast parts of the rest of the country are ignoring or downplaying the risks.

I’d wait a bit and access the situation in a week or so.

Soon people are going to have direct knowledge of someone who died and that’s going to change everyone’s attitude.

This is a tough one and there are no easy answers. I’d ride out my quarantine and access.

ETA I have no idea which country you are based in but the spread is the same everywhere. Major cities first then it fans out. It’s slow moving given the long incubator period so it’s already too late to contain the first wave before people finally started to isolate.

Amadahy

Thank you, GettingOOTF. We're 12 days into quarantine. Sadly, tonight I have a mild headache, sore throat and feel a bit warm (no thermometer). I'll see how I feel tomorrow. I worked at home.

I'm really bummed. Even though the work culture is tough, there are dear people there and I'd typically never consider exiting without ample notice.

Take good care ❤️

~~ Leonard Cohen

Amadahy

Just a note to say that I think the best thing worked out! My supervisor asked me to stay on as "flex," or a sub for others. This way, I'm out of there for now, but can keep my foot in the door for openings later if I decide I'd like that.  It was a generous and creative option and I'm very thankful. :)

~~ Leonard Cohen