Injury as a young child

Started by Seven, April 27, 2020, 10:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seven

So, yesterday I found out an elementary school teacher passed away.  I had a difficult time trying to imagine his face, as he wasn't one of my primary teachers.  And then another old school friend posted something that they made way back when that she had kept all these 40 years.  It got me thinking to why I don't remember any of the things that other people do.  And it got me thinking about what I actually DO remember.

One time in my single-digit years the neighborhood kids were playing dodgeball on my next door neighbors concrete half-court basketball court.  Basically for large squares of concrete pad raised up off the ground   Well while we were playing I had jumped up to avoid being hit by a large, red, rubber ball.  I was on the edge of the court. When I came down, i slipped and my ankle landed in a section of the court where the concrete had come apart.  At the Time my uNPD mother was not home, but my dad was.  I remember  him sitting me on the toilet and trying to take my shoes and socks off so he could see the damage.  It was so swollen there was no flexing or extending it.  Sis4 comes home (she's around 17 at the time) and yells at my dad why he doesn't take me to the hospital? I mean screaming at him because that's how bad my ankle looked.  I never ended up seeing a doctor.  I couldn't walk.  I had to crawl around the house, crawl up stairs, toe walk at school with no crutches, etc.  this went on for weeks.  Come high school time I had ankle instability issues that I had to wear an ankle sleeve for.

To this day I have no idea why they didn't take me to see a doctor. Can't ask my dad, as he's deceased, but at least I know he'd tell me the truth.  My mother will deny i never hurt myself. 

I know I'll never get any type of closure for any of the issues I have with her.  They will all just be denied or gaslit.

nanotech

💜hugs to you.
Such odd and damaging behaviour. These things become a sinister puzzle as we get older and start to see how bizarre some behaviour was.
My family gave me strong anaesthetic cream whenever I had toothache, instead of taking me to the dentist. When the damage was discovered ( a routine dental check at school when 12)  they argued the 'findings' ( rotting teeth!) and denied any wrongdoing. At no time was any concern expressed for me.
In fact their indignation made me feel guilty.  They  looked after their own teeth really well. In the uk dental care was free for children. So, why?

When my little sister FELL OFF A HORSE aged 9, dad moved her( should left her where she was and rung an ambulance) then he brought her home, and then they both sat her in a chair and told her she'd be fine. They did not take her to the doctor or the hospital. She was crying in pain all night. They eventually had to take her in as the pain was too much that even she, a compliant and quiet child could not help but express it. Guess what -she had a dislocated shoulder/ elbow fracture -and she needed an operation to fix it. She was in hospital for a week.
Dad was a Clever guy, a trained medic who worked in hospitals and doctor's surgeries.
It doesn't make any sense, but these types of reactions to injury or to general healthcare, seem to often occur wherever there is personality disorder in the parent or parents.
Is it an ego problem? That they don't want to feel shame or blame?
I'd love an apology for the state of my teeth. Luckily, I've a good dentist.
Im sorry that happened to you. I can't explain it, and I have experienced it too.💜