Possible awareness of my uBPDM?

Started by Maxtrem, May 11, 2020, 04:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxtrem

On Sunday I called my mother to wish her Happy Mother's Day. The first thing she said to me was: you're nice to call even though I haven't been a good mother. I didn't go into the subject and the conversation was pleasant. Could it be that she really had a realization? Or is she playing her eternal pitiful victim character? Have any of you experienced this? My mother had always presented herself as a great mother  :stars:

Call Me Cordelia

That sounds like a cue for you to deny that she was not a good mother. Build up her insecurities for her. I'm glad you didn't go there.

Thru the Rain

Quote from: Maxtrem on May 11, 2020, 04:02:24 PM
Could it be that she really had a realization? Or is she playing her eternal pitiful victim character? Have any of you experienced this?

I've experienced this and I would guess it's the Eternal Pitiful Victim  :dramaqueen:

My uPDM does this all the time, and what she seems to really want is the "Oh No! You did the best you could you poor thing."

And I used to give her that exact reaction before coming Out of the FOG. Now she gets stony silence from my side of the phone.

I didn't set out to give her flat silence as a reaction, but when I first started to recognize the pattern, I was literally speechless when she trotted these lines out. I've since realized that she drops the whole act if I just let silence sit. She can last an entire 5 seconds before she jumps back in to change the subject herself.

Duck

I agree with those who say it is a cue for you to contradict her.

Maxtrem

Thank you for your answers, you confirm what I thought!