vacuum cleaner fight - vacuum triggers me

Started by djcleo, June 10, 2020, 10:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

djcleo

I don't vacuum usually. I finally got the stick vac out that my husband bought in order to try to make cleaning easier. I am good with FLYLADY stuff and would rather mop the floor with the purple low tech stuff, but it's important to my husband that I do certain things. I hate vacuuming. My mom has physical limitations so she would tell me every little thing about the vacuuming every single time.

That being said, I didn't TELL my husband the rules. I thought them. I need him shut up and not say a word about me vacuuming. He did anyway. He is a little bit of a low level Sheldon (Big Bang Theory), where he has to tell you about all of how to do something. That's annoying anyway.

Well, I shut him completely down when he wanted to say ONE THING. He wanted to tell me about the spot where you have to empty it. Then I just kept telling him to stop talking over and over. He finally yelled that if it's that triggering for me then I shouldn't do it.

I thought I could just vacuum once and maybe he'd not talk about it. But we're both home (pandemic)....

Pepin

Quote from: DJCleo on June 10, 2020, 10:05:29 AM
I don't vacuum usually. I finally got the stick vac out that my husband bought in order to try to make cleaning easier. I am good with FLYLADY stuff and would rather mop the floor with the purple low tech stuff, but it's important to my husband that I do certain things. I hate vacuuming. My mom has physical limitations so she would tell me every little thing about the vacuuming every single time.

That being said, I didn't TELL my husband the rules. I thought them. I need him shut up and not say a word about me vacuuming. He did anyway. He is a little bit of a low level Sheldon (Big Bang Theory), where he has to tell you about all of how to do something. That's annoying anyway.

Well, I shut him completely down when he wanted to say ONE THING. He wanted to tell me about the spot where you have to empty it. Then I just kept telling him to stop talking over and over. He finally yelled that if it's that triggering for me then I shouldn't do it.

I thought I could just vacuum once and maybe he'd not talk about it. But we're both home (pandemic)....

We recently bought a robovac that only is used on the upper level of our home where there is carpeting and also the bathroom.  It has been amazing.  All I do is go onto the app on my phone and hit start.  Probably every 2nd run I clean out the bin on the robovac. 

This helps reduce the amount of area I have to vacuum and lets me focus on the stairs and the main floor instead.  And....if your husband is like Sheldon, he will adore programming the robovac for you depending on how fancy of one you get...highly recommend.   

Andeza

I too despise vacuuming, mostly because I was a tiny, petite child and yet my mother expectations me too push around this ancient, heavy, dinosaur.. Including on the stairs. My solution thus far was to buy a lightweight, albeit powerful vacuum that didn't hurt my back. But I still hate it... I think when finances allow, I'll be buying one of those nice robovacs.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.