Threats of suicide

Started by 11JB68, May 29, 2020, 09:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11JB68

Trying to figure out if recent suicidal comments are 'serious' or manipulative.
He seems fine this week.... Perfectly fine.
Would someone be so depressed and suicidal and then just be fine??

SparkStillLit

I *personally* feel like it's controlling nonsense. You have to decide for yourself, but I've told myself if I get any more of this, I will calmly state that I'll call the professionals if it keeps up, and I will TOTALLY DISENGAGE. 
I don't think a person who truly feels this way is perfectly fine hours or days later, or flips back and forth between radically different states, nor threatens on the regular.
The folks I know who felt like it (including me) didn't threaten at ALL, in fact.

GettingOOTF

I dealt with this. My ex threatened suicide all the time. It's manipulation.

The best thing to do in these cases is to call 911. If people are seriously they get the help they need and if they aren't they think twice before pulling that again.

Now I'm out of the chaos I look back and see how totally insane it was that I was even in that situation, that anyone would make a threat like that to get their own way.

It's manipulation pure and simple.

My exes doctor told me that people who are serious don't threaten, they go off and do it but to be carful if he's been drinking as alcohol makes people do things they ordinarily wouldn't.

I regret not calling 911 the second those worlds first left his lips.

CagedBirdSinging

My pdH pulled this on me when I was pregnant. I begged him to get help, not to put this stress on me for the sake of my unborn child. Looking back, it was pure manipulation. He refused to call a helpline and said 'well at least if I commit suicide now you can't say I didnt warn you.' At the time I was refusing to comply with his demands, so it was a threat. I was terrified.

Gettingootf is right. Call the police if he does it again. That's what I plan on doing.

Take care. That is one of the very worst things to deal with. Take some time out to look after yourself.

blacksheep7

It is a Pure Threat. I wouldn't take any account of it.    They want you to eat out of their hand Make sure you are always there for them/answering their every cry wolf.    I had an ex like that. I had to act like a mother to him, very immature. :roll:

Although calling 911 could probably put a stop to it.

People who seriously want to go through the act do not speak about it to anyone.....they may leave a note/letter.

I've watched many mystery/crime shows, still do ;)

Although there could be something bothering him, just saying.   I don't know the whole story about your h.
I may be the black sheep of the family, but some of the white sheep are not as white as they try to appear.

"When people show you who they are, believe them."
Maya Angelou

Jsinjin

This is not a case for you, trying to come Out of the FOG,  to figure things out for them.   I am sure that you care and worry about this person and that's important but their behavior if they are a PD will be to use the response you give to any output on their part to then control your interactions with them.   Being suicidal is a serious condition and is not normal for mental health and needs to be treated by professionals.   If someone threatens it even idly then tell them you are calling the police for a wellness check, follow through on that and let them know that they need to get a psychiatric evaluation for suicidal ideation then give them the number for your local county or city organization that helps connect those mental health professionals with suicidal individuals.   

If the person is indeed feeling suicidal ideation then you are actually helping them in two ways: 1) they are being out in contact with the professionals who can help them diagnose the feelings and triggers and 2) you are making sure their behavior of raising a Spectre of suicide is given the correct response and not reinforcing the wrong kind of attention.

This is obviously only my advice and I'm not a mental health professional but your role in the relationship especially if you are dealing with PD is not to try and help him or her soothe the
It is unwise to seek prominence in a field whose routine chores you do not enjoy.

-Wolfgang Pauli