Disinherited by my Farther who is in a religious cult

Started by Dave123, July 05, 2020, 07:59:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave123

I seek advice
I live in the U.K but my farther is Canadian ..I don't know if that is far away from you?

My mother and farther got divorced 40 years ago or so.

Both my mother and farther are involved with a Christian religious cult which I managed to brake free from in my 20s I am in my 50s now..

My mother was allowed to divorce my farther by cult rules  because he was violent and committed addultery .

She fled with me to the UK when I was just 11 , I am 52 now.

I stayed in touch with my farther and so has my mother they talk religion a lot and he is trying to save his soul but I managed to brake away from the brain washing of the cult in my 20s this has deeply disappointed both of my pairents and they both regularly try to get me to return to the organisation.

My mother and farther have been in regular contact and I have also been in contact with my farther..

It came to light a few years ago to both of my parents that I am bisexual and my farther went insane and was hugely angry and said to my mum he would shoot me if he could and that he was going to totally cut me out of his will, which he has done with the support of my mother his ex wife..

I have no siblings I am an only child and he has never remarried.

My mother has gained the privilege of becoming the executure of my fathers will and has convinced him to leave all of his estate to her..

I belive this is a manipulative tactic by both of them to make me rethrn to the cult and to renounce my sexuality by manipulating me by use of my fathers estate he owns property in Kirkland lake.they both expect my farther to die before my mother and all of his estate will go to her upon his death and then in the UK the canadian law can be bi passed once my mother has the estate and hear in the UK estates are not automatically passed onto the children and so I fear that she will donate it all to the church and will leave me without any inheritance because I am viewed as an evil person in the eyes of there church..

I want to know if because I am his only child can I contest his will to leave the entire estate to my mother as they have been divorced for 40 years and I am his only child...
Will I be able to do this under Canadian law..? Before the estate is passed over to my mother who is a UK resident.. if it does all get passed over to my mother I will have no inheritance unless I go back to the religion and satisfy the elders that I am not bisexual...

What can I do under Canadian Law with regards to my elderly fathers will upon his death?..
Do I have any grounds to contest this will.?

Your advice would be much appreciated..

Kind regards. 

PeanutButter

Hi david. I want to warmly welcome you. I dont know the answer to the will and contesting it by Canadian law. Im in the Sates. I too rejected my parents christian cult in my teens and reafirmed I wanted nothing more to do with the organization in my very early 20's after trying to go back just so I could have my family. I just wanted you to know I can relate to your experience.
If there is a hidden seed of evil inside of children adults planted it there -LundyBancroft  Self-awareness is the ability to take an honest look at your life without any attachment to it being right or wrong good or bad -DebbieFord The greatest of faults is to be conscious of none -Thomas Carlyle

xredshoesx

welcome to the forum-

we may be able to support the emotional part of the process of healing from these experiences, but any/ all legal questions are well outside our forum purpose.

we're just regular folks helping other regular folks through some life circumstances brought on by people who may have personality disorders- from the disclaimer

Out of the FOG was launched in 2007 to provide information and support to the family members and loved-ones of individuals who suffer from a personality disorder.

We are a supportive, close-knit community, encouraging one another through the many challenges that come with having a family member or significant other who has a personality disorder. You can join our support community here.

The Out of the FOG leadership team is the most experienced team of its kind in the world. We are unpaid volunteers who have years of experience living with someone who suffers from a personality disorder and who share a passion to educate and encourage others who find themselves lost in the "FOG".

here's some additional information you can research to see if you feel your dad fits any of the criteria.  growing up in a cult certainly adds some complexity to your situation as it is now and we hope you can find some answers to the legal aspects of the situation- however it sounds like you are best  served by consulting with a lawyer who deals with international trusts.

Disorders

Top 100 Traits 

vijaykumari

In the US as far as I know a parent can legally disinherit children, for any reason, cult or otherwise.  One thing I learned from my divorce that relates here is that I was so terrified of getting nothing because of my husband's attitude that I didn't think clearly about my legal rights.  I was reluctant to even get divorced and leave because I assumed he would get his way.  He bullied me and didn't want to give me anything, but under the law I was entitled to support.  If I had been less scared and emotional I would have asked for more.  I also didn't realize at first that he was also afraid of me, and I did have some personal influence as well, and the way things go here I would have had to ask and push for things.  So don't let your feelings interfere with the very straightforward process of getting whatever the law can possibly allow you to get.