Trying to find a lawyer

Started by 11JB68, July 06, 2020, 05:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11JB68

And this is my third issue.
I've had free consults with a few.
One I did not click with and she knows people I know so that feels weird.
One seemed too expensive (and today reading online reviews that's what I read... Expensive and people felt ripped off)
One sounded good on her website but Yelp reviews were horrible!!
The first one I met with, seemed ok, online reviews were not great...
Now I'm worried about this.
I cannot afford to spend money on a lawyer who is awful!

GettingOOTF

My advice to friends is alway to put the best lawyer they can afford on credit on their credit card. A good attorney pays off in spades. I went for a lawyer I could afford vs a good one because I was so worried about money. It cost me in the long run. I wish I'd worried less about the lawyer fees and more about the bigger picture.  I would have paid off my cards long before I got the divorce and I lost so much more money during that time than I would have paid to a better attorney.  I would have been divorced at least a year sooner than I was.

Only you know your circumstances and how your husband is likely to react though.

Plenty of people get divorced without a lawyer too. Don't let this stop you. There is a site called WomensDivorce.com which I see recommended on a lot of support websites. It's broken down by state and people say good things about it.

Leaving is hard. For me it was deciding which of the bad options I had to pick bs what I actually wanted. I imagine it's the same for most women.

Whiteheron

My L was recommended by a friend. I was skeptical at first, but after some web searching I found she had extensive experience with DV cases. I also did a search for "DV lawyers and my metropolitan area", she popped up with some good reviews. I also interviewed a few others from that list, but she was the one I felt most comfortable with. She was also $$$, but I put it all on credit. She was definitely worth it in the end.
You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.

Bowsy26

Blackbird11

Good for you 11JB68!!! You got this!

I may have shared this on one of your threads so forgive me if it's a duplicate, but I recommend checking out your local private FB mom's group, or finding one that has a big enough population of moms in your area. Then search "divorce" in the search area and see how many people recommend lawyers. The reviews tend to be real and honest. I did that and found a few that were actually pretty good.

11JB68

Finally had phone consult on Friday went well. Checked out online reviews, all good. She's offering a $4000 retainer instead of 5 due to covid.
Getting closer to moving forward

sevenyears

Whiteheron

The first step is always the hardest. Good for you!
You can't destroy me if I don't care.

Being able to survive it doesn't mean it was ever ok.

Bunnyme

I went through 4 consults before I chose one.  I question if I made the right choice sometimes.   She is more about the mediation, and I am not sure it is the best strategy.  The first 3 wanted to go guns blazing.  This one is gentler, but very well connected.  Look at the case search for your state.  See how many cases they have handled.  Go with your gut.   I agree to get the best you can, but dont put off making a move because you feel like you have to interview absolutely everyone.