Not eating

Started by Bella, August 06, 2020, 03:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bella

So I am in a bad situation currently and hoping to make my way out of it.
But I find it hard to do things , trying to work through it.
And I am not eating. I already know I have an ED despite being fat but usually it just takes an hour to talk myself into eating. Like barely some bread, if you put food in front of me I would eat it but I don't really care.
Right now thought it's just like I don't care about much and I am a bit worried because there is urgent things I need to care for.
I think it's a form of self sabotage or a reaction to the current helplessness but It needs to stop.
This started around February when my life got very hard.
The issue is my body feels great when fasting and I suspect I have a mild allergy to some common food item.

If anyone went through ideas on how to snap out of this are welcome.

Poison Ivy

I'm sorry that stress is affecting your appetite. You're right, no matter what your weight, not eating is not good for your health. Also, as you've alluded to, fasting is a natural anxiety reducer for some people, and that can become very dangerous by leading to an eating disorder. My suggestion is to make yourself eat three times per day, whether or not you feel like doing so. Get simple-to-prepare, nutritious foods. If the not-eating behavior continues for more than a week or two, talk to your physician or a mental health practitioner.

notrightinthehead

If you have a healthy BMI - and you should check this well - and you have lost your appetite for now, you could make sure you have all the vitamins and minerals your body needs, and you drink plenty of fluids, at least two litres per day - you could just listen to your body for now.  And you could try tempting your body with fruit.
I am a stress eater and I loose a lot of my appetite and nervous eating when all in my life goes well, I also stop craving chocolate and sweets, but my appetite always comes back. I try to listen as much as possible to the signals from my body.  As I am not underweight, a period of eating less does not damage my health. In the contrary, it seems to give me energy and make me feel well.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Bella

I make sure to drink a lot, and I am overweight so it does not help me take it more seriously, I haven't binge eaten or eaten a lot for the past 5 years  but the increased stress made my body retain a lot of fat  😑.
I don't think it's dangerous as of yet but I don't want to me my ED worse.
Do you think it's depression ?

GettingOOTF

I am sorry you are suffering.

No one here can advise you as to whether or not you have depression or an underlying medical issue. If you have medical concerns I strongly recommend seeing your medical doctor who can rule out any medical issues and give you a recommendation for a nutritionist and/or a therapist as they deem necessary.

I know when I'm stressed I tend to freeze and stop making good choices for myself. A doctor will be able to point you in the right direction.

Wilderhearts

I have to second GettingOOTF that a medical professional is probably the best resource to consult, especially since you've already identified you struggle with an ED.

It is really unfortunate that eating disorders are under-diagnosed, or completely ignored and dismissed, in people who are overweight.  Anorexia among people with higher BMIs can still have negative affects on your health, even if it doesn't result in significant weight loss, let alone becoming underweight. If you don't already have a physician who takes your ED seriously, finding one may be the first crucial step. 

1footouttadefog

I am sorry to read to read that your life circumstances are having an effect on you physically to this extent.

It seems not uncommon however so be kind to yourself and know you are not alone. 

Maybe you could consider getting a blood panel drawn including blood lipids, and a1c and such.  Then discuss any findings with your physician in light of whst is going in.

Do take holistic self care.  Get exercise, pamper yourself, stimulate yourself intellectually, socially, enjoy music and art, consider a day trip or outing spend time with others, even if 6 feet away and masked.  ;)