Any reason we were born to a Narcissistic family or purpose it serves to us?

Started by Blueberry Pancakes, August 21, 2020, 09:09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sojourner17

This thread is so good.  Thank you for the great read and discussion.  It has truly been encouraging and strengthening and has brought to mind lots to remember. 
I remember when I first heard about NPD.  I was meeting with a Christian counsellor who first brought up the idea that NPD could possibly be what I was experiencing regarding my mom (unNPDm).  He said that this may be the cross I need to bare.  At first this saddened and confused me but maybe, just maybe it can be made into something beautiful.  God has most definitely placed me and my little family on a different (albeit at times lonely) path but I wouldn't have it any other way.  While at times it is hard, painful, and confusing I guess I have counted the cost.  I've chosen to pick up the cross and follow my Lord and Saviour. 
I don't really have a reason as to why I was raised in the family I was but God knows and maybe, just maybe,  this is the training ground to fighting the good fight and finishing the race strong. 
"Tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it..." - Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

KeepingMyBlue

I see that this thread is old, but I'm so glad I'm not the only one with sense enough to struggle with this exact issue!

My pastor was teaching on Jacob wrestling with the Man, and  "I won't let you go until you bless me!" It reopened this wound. I went to the restroom and I was literally red-faced, I was so emotional.

I prayed and asked why He had to go and stir this up again. I accepted that I won't get answers this side of Heaven! I got an answer that He wants all of me honestly, and that's kinda what the sermon was. The struggle makes us grow...or so he said. It wasn't presented in the Bible as a sin on Jacob's part that he wrestled.

I'm still mad as hell, and not looking forward to the nightmares, again. I'm more mature than most people get in their whole lifetimes, isn't that enough? I guess I should be grateful for the short peace that I wasn't screaming inside constantly for a while.

Dandelion

I just wanted to say I appreciate people's contributions on this thread so much.  Adria's words re. our struggles and spiritual understanding were especially helpful for me.  And not even just family life, but the difficulties out in the world generally. I can't articulate so well what others have said here, but reading it was a blessing. 

Hazy111

Ive thought about this many times as no doubt others have. I remember reading once someone struggling with the same question, put it this way.  It shocked me to the core ..... why not you ?  Why me ? is a narcissistic stance.  Its just bad luck.

Mary

Quote from: Adria on December 22, 2020, 11:43:40 AM
So many times, this life can seem hopeless, crazy, senseless, and grief stricken . . . but God.

So true, Adria. I know from Romans 8:28 that, "...all things work together for good to them that love God..."
And then I look at my present circumstance and think, "I wonder how he's going to turn THIS one for good.? This one's gonna be fun to watch!"
For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. (Isaiah 54:5)