Narc boss at it again

Started by Spirit in the sky, September 07, 2020, 12:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spirit in the sky

After being off on stress before lockdown, I returned to work in July and things seemed ok with my boss. Probably because we weren't full reopened and everything was quiet.

But I started to notice I was getting anxious again and finding it hard to relax when I came home from work. Now I realise my boss has been slowly but surely adding more to my work load, even though I reduced my hours. Some how she manages to get me to take responsibility for major decisions and she just sits back and does nothing.

We have started doing online services and she's not good with IT so I foolishly feel for the line  'your good at IT you can help me'. Now it's all left to me and she does nothing. I suggested she asked another member of staff to help me and she said she didn't want to over burden them. Obviously it's ok to over burden me while her and her let sit and twiddle their thumbs all day.

clara

How far up the ladder is your boss, and is there someone she answers to?  Because job responsibilities need to be handled by the responsible person.  If she answers to someone else, can you simply refuse the tasks, saying sorry, you're too busy with YOUR responsibilities to do hers?  I can see why this would be impossible if she's the one solely in charge, you're kind of at their mercy in those cases, but otherwise it sounds like she's trying to push or even overstepping boundaries and hoping you don't push back.   If you push back and she has a supervisor. she would then have to answer to her supervisor over why the work isn't getting done (that she's supposed to do). 

Spirit in the sky

Thanks Clara, yes there are a few levels above her but somehow she manages to get everyone else to do her job so the big bosses don't notice.

I decided for my own sanity I had to just be frank and honest and tell her I wasn't comfortable taking on more work and that I didn't want the added responsibility. I also added that I knew she would understand, I think she was shocked and agreed me with me.

She likes to punish people who go against her, so she's decided to make the new girl her 'pet' and I have to listen to how wonderful she is and she doesn't mind helping out. For some reason she thinks this will annoy me, truthfully I couldn't care less, and she'll soon discover the newbie is actually playing her.

Quote from: clara on September 08, 2020, 11:31:28 AM
How far up the ladder is your boss, and is there someone she answers to?  Because job responsibilities need to be handled by the responsible person.  If she answers to someone else, can you simply refuse the tasks, saying sorry, you're too busy with YOUR responsibilities to do hers?  I can see why this would be impossible if she's the one solely in charge, you're kind of at their mercy in those cases, but otherwise it sounds like she's trying to push or even overstepping boundaries and hoping you don't push back.   If you push back and she has a supervisor. she would then have to answer to her supervisor over why the work isn't getting done (that she's supposed to do).