New here

Started by Boxermom, September 16, 2020, 02:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boxermom

Hi. I'm new here but am very glad I have found this forum. I'm going to jump right in and hopefully be able to get some answers about my current relationship and my boyfriends crazy behavior. I was in a very toxic very abusive relationship with my ex narc for 5 years and I'm already seeing red flags and warning signs with my new relationship. Thanks for having me here!

notrightinthehead

Welcome! You will find this site full of information and supportive.  Start reading the Personality disorders Tab and the Toolbox. See you around on the boards!
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Boxermom

freedom77

IME red flags are warnings of what's to come. That's why they're called red flags, they are warning you. You've been here before, so you are recognizing patterns early on. Plus, don't underestimate your gut feelings.

If you're seeing issues in this new relationship, if I were you, I'd break it off. Tell him you need a break to think things through. This is your litmus test. His reaction to this need, this boundary you are putting up, will tell you A LOT. It's not a request either, it's a need. If he gets angry, violates the boundary, accuses you of cheating/seeing someone else, any type of toxic reaction tells you all you need to know. If he's respectful and gives you the space you need, then maybe you can proceed slowly with caution and see how it goes. Don't rush into any type of commitment.

Tell him that after having already been in a toxic relationship, you are wanting to take things slow, friends first, and let things develop at their own pace. If he gets nasty, takes it personally, again...he's telling you what you need to know.

Boat Babe

It gets better. It has to.

CandyPop

Hello, I just joined today and am grateful to find this page (through a webinar I took yesterday) . I am living with someone who is Bipolar and its difficult to find support, since no one I know knows what it feels like and I feel pretty isolated and people dont seem to understand what I am going through. I look forward to reading posts in the forum and finding support :) thank you