Questions about Notifications

Started by veritas, September 24, 2020, 09:02:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veritas

I have looked through the forum and FAQ's but don't really see what I am looking for. I do apologize if its in there somewhere and I missed it.

Question 1: How do I just set ALL of my forum posts to give me a notification instead of having to do it for each one?
Question 2: By notification it just means an email right? I don't want it to pop up some message on my computer at the most inopportune time. My PD person sometimes uses my laptop and he also at times just does not know that reading what someone has on their screen is not appropriate. I try to post here when he is occupied but I can't always be 100% sure he won't just pop in at the worst moment. All I want is email notification that I can look at later when I know I have the privacy and safety do do so.

Thanks for the help  :)

veritas

To add a little more to my original post. I have been indicating for each post that I receive notification, but so far no emails have been sent even though I do see that a post was replied to. What am I doing wrong?

xredshoesx

typically many users opt out of having the email notification that someone responded to their post; so that's the forum default- that members would only be able to see here in their notifications within the forum to protect their privacy in situations like a prying spouse and/or  the potential of being 'found' here leading to more/greater/escalating abuse. 

it's a setting somewhere in your profile settings but i can't remember specifically how to change it.  i did notify our tech admins and i will report back as soon as possible with further info.

Spring Butterfly

Is the notification in theink next to your name? The link says updated topics. That's where notifications should show up. Also when you go to a particular board within the forum it should indicate which ones are new with a little new icon meaning you haven't read that one yet or there are new messages you haven't seen in that particular thread.
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage — prep beforehand and make time after to heal
blog for healing

Spring Butterfly

Also under your profile, modified profile, notifications you can edit the settings there.
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage — prep beforehand and make time after to heal
blog for healing

BestLife08

I'm looking for the same info, thanks.

Spring Butterfly

Did you check here as indicated in the original answer?

Quote from: Spring Butterfly on September 27, 2020, 08:24:18 AM
Also under your profile, modified profile, notifications you can edit the settings there.
this was the answer so please explain what you're missing. There's several settings there depending on exactly which option you want

Check the box "Turn notification on when you post or reply to a topic" or for an entire board or for individual topics even if you haven't replied.
blog for healing

WinterStar

I have my settings set up to notify me by email when a post is updated. It used to work correctly, but I stopped receiving notices awhile ago. I tried to adjust the settings, even turning off notifications and then turning them back on. I've double-checked my spam folder. Nothing works. I'm not getting them.
I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me. -Elizabeth Bennet

JustKat

Quote from: veritas on September 24, 2020, 10:48:10 PM
To add a little more to my original post. I have been indicating for each post that I receive notification, but so far no emails have been sent even though I do see that a post was replied to. What am I doing wrong?

I'm also having a problem receiving the email notifications. I've always signed up for email notifications on the threads I'm posting in and the emails have always come through, but I've suddenly stopped receiving them. I contacted my ISP and was told that AOL/Yahoo (apparently owned by the same company) block emails that they feel are spam and that this address has probably been blocked. I'm furious because it should be up to ME to decide what is spam and what isn't, not my ISP.

Long story short, they sent me a link to an online form that the owner of the site has to fill out to prove that they're a legitimate website and not sending spam. I don't know where to go from here. Right now I just keep coming back to check the threads I'm active in, but it sure was nice getting the email notifications.

Spring Butterfly

Thank you all for clarifying and taking time to detail the issue. I'm not sure but the issue is but will make a note of it
blog for healing