Two Questions

Started by Hepatica, October 30, 2020, 09:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hepatica

Two Questions:

1) If you could do one thing in the next week that feels scary but would be really healthy for you and be one step closer to joy, what would it be?

2) If someone handed you $100 000 how would you spend it in a way that would improve the quality of your life and enhance your healing process?
"There is a place in you where you have never been wounded, where there's
still a sureness in you, where there's a seamlessness in you, and where
there is a confidence and tranquility." John O'Donohue

Andeza

1 I would would publish through Amazon the book I just finished writing.

2 I would move to Montana, on property, and get started homesteading. Ducks, chickens, rabbits, gardens, goats. Etc.

These two things are not necessarily mutually exclusive though... thanks, it's good to get back to the primary goals.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Hepatica

Andeza,

That's amazing about your book. I really encourage you to do it. What a wonderful accomplishment.   :drinks:

I am totally there with you on the homesteading goal. I read the book Wilding, by Isabella Tree this summer and was so inspired by it. Have you heard of it or read it? I made me a bit crazy bc I wanted so badly to buy land and work with it after reading it. I would love one day, once travel restrictions are lifted and Covid is a thing of the past, to go to England and visit Isabella Tree's land.

Andeza

I think I will, need to run a few proofreading rounds and run it by my DH first, then see what I can do.

I have not read that book, but I follow some really fascinating people on Youtube. If you do go to England, stop by Charles Dowding's market garden, too. He is also on YT if you wanna check it out.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Poison Ivy

My answers (right now):
1) Have a conversation with my ex-husband in which I suggest that he work on his household habits such that our adult daughter who is visiting from out of state would feel comfortable spending as much time at his house as she is at mine. (I love her, but I know that part of the reason she prefers being with me is that her father is messy and dirty and generally not very responsible.)
2) Replace the broken water softener and arrange for a bathroom renovation.

xredshoesx

1)find the cure for covid

2) pay off our family of student loans.

i am enjoying reading the responses on this thread!

Happypants

1 I'd take a week to do a self-sufficient long distance walk in the Isle of Skye and the highlands wild camping along the way.
2 I'd start a Covid-proof business that I could run from anywhere. Something that  would help people thrive ie nature therapy, mountaineering, wild swimming, etc anything that helps them get in touch with themselves and feel their purpose and worth, and grow resilience.

Hepatica

Happypants,
If I had $100 000 and Covid was gone, I'd spend some money on myself and go to your business. Wild swimming sounds great. I think I'd like to do the walk on the Isle of Skye as well. I dream of all things British Isles these days. Watching far too many episodes of Escape to the Country.

xredshoex - yes to both of those!! :thumbup:

Poison Ivy, Good luck with your ex. Are you going to do it? I am dreaming up a bathroom reno as well.

My two things:

1) I did it yesterday after I asked the questions. I contacted a uni prof via email and asked him questions about course work and specific questions about something I am passionate about. I was scared to do it but I did it and then it got even scarier bc he asked me to call him. That was a bit too much for me. I had to back away but I was glad I made the effort to ask him some questions that I hope will make him think and open his mind. He has influence so putting that in his mind made me feel like I did something to advocate for something I feel strongly about. (In the realm of rural planning and combatting isolation.)

2) $100 000. I would bank it, maybe get some good advice on safe investing. I'd let it sit and gain interest and when Covid is gone I'd head straight to France or the British Isles for a really decadent holiday. :)

Happypants

Hepatica - I wish i had your restraint when it comes to saving money   :doh: Huge congrats on taking the leap contacting the uni prof.  I hope you'll feel emboldened enough soon to take things a step further x

Hepatica

Happypants,
I really only have restraint because of Covid. I could blow a lot of $$ on travelling if I had it.  ;D

Jolie40

1) get a puppy
our dog went to doggie heaven this past yr & miss our sweet dog
husband says no now so just a wish which would bring lots of puppy joy

2) buy RV so we could safely travel whenever we want & visit non dysfunctional side of family
be good to yourself

Lookin 2 B Free

What wonderful questions!   I could ponder these for hours!

1)  I'd reach out to people I've loved and fallen out of contact with over the decades and have some deep & fun conversations.

2)  Get my old house fixed up and book a spiritual pilgrimage to the other side of the world.  And I'd give a bunch of it away to heal others and the planet.

Call Me Cordelia

I would focus on my home. I can't spend $100k but I can spend some! I need to give myself the time and space and budget to make my home work better for me.

Kat54

1) I would get myself back into my art, and finish setting up my art studio in my new house. The house has overwhelmed me with getting it to feel like a home so I've not worked on projects that need to be finished.

2) Renovate my kitchen, take a vacation with my 2 kids to a remote warm island and  invest the rest to my retirement.