Family Meeting????

Started by D., November 09, 2020, 06:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop

That's great C having other family as a supportive group would make such a difference.  I can see how you would feel stronger about seeing your parents knowing that everyone else in the room has your back and will help you if trouble arises.  So good to hear.

moglow

Oh wow!! I'm so glad for y'all! I was imagining family merting with parents, thus my caution. I'm so glad y'all are all on the sane page and have a plan. It helps do much to have that understanding.
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Hepatica

I'm so happy for you that it worked out with your sibling. That's a huge success.

I think if only my sister would have worked with me, we could have figured out a plan that would have bolstered the both of us and an over all win win for everyone. 
"There is a place in you where you have never been wounded, where there's
still a sureness in you, where there's a seamlessness in you, and where
there is a confidence and tranquility." John O'Donohue

D.

Thank you all for the words of encouragement.  When we first were thinking of meeting I thought it meant just siblings, learned there was interest in looping in parents, and finally we all decided to keep it w/just siblings.  I think we are all in this for the long haul so it will be an ongoing process.  Meeting between siblings and possibly looping in others if appropriate.  Together setting boundaries w/PD behavior.  We had a couple of online/virtual contacts last week and they went relatively smoothly.  Everyone was appropriate and kind.  I have to say though that I continue to feel a bit triggered by our parents' communication even when they aren't being "mean", it's simply the typical PD stuff of usually re-focusing group conversations on themselves.  Kind of like if someone were to hijack a forum thread w/their own personal topic.
Every.  Single.  Time!  But if I'm honest, I like some attention too  :bigwink:  I want to be fair to balance the group dynamic.  It isn't just about me either.  I hope all of this makes some sense.  For now I've decided to accept PD individual's w/ their extreme limitations of being self-focused, continue to limit my individual contact, observe how I feel, and observe how the full group is impacted.  Now on to December!  Things are pretty closed here due to COVID so I suspect it will continue to be mostly virtual/online and in that way somewhat easier.