Article about the psychology of growth vs narcissism

Started by treesgrowslowly, December 04, 2020, 09:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treesgrowslowly

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/the-forgiving-life/201805/why-maslows-self-actualization-theory-is-not-quite-right%3famp

I think this article provides food for thought for those who want to consider how narcissism has affected them psychologically and how narcissism is in the culture not just in our families.

Narcissistic parenting is deeply damaging, and the article is not really talking about that. But I do appreciate this essay on its own points.

In the article he states that narcissism is on the rise in the West.

The narcissists in my life taught me that no they will not grow up, no they will not change. No no no. They will not. Maslows hierarchy be damned...they will not transcend their self-absorbed ways.

If we want to grow, if we want to change, if we want to recover from their abuse, we are on our own. No help with come from them.

They are not interested in growth, in relationship repair, in empathy.

This article takes a point of view. Once basic needs are met, a desire for growth must spark. And in narcissism, is that spark there?

If narcissism was not such a damaging experience to those near to it, pulled into it, and raised by it, this forum would not need to exist.

Can we self-actualize whilst babysitting the narcissists among us?

Trees

Free2Bme

Trees,
Thanks for the article, I will check it out.

"Can we self-actualize whilst babysitting the narcissists among us?"    ....this is the 20 million dollar question we ask in various forms. 

IME, I could not while married to updxh (ASPD).  This would be like asking someone with anemia to magically conjure up some red blood cells.

I would agree that narcissism is on the rise.  This is because it works and is able to achieve it's desired end.  This is a sad ,but true reality in nations, corporations, churches, families, and playgrounds.

...looking forward to this read ;)

treesgrowslowly

Hey free2be

I guess I posted it in part because it can be helpful to know that narcissism is not just something rare that we happened to run into.

If the article helps anyone in their quest that is good. I think during this whole process some of us, we read a lot and some of it helps to answer certain questions as they come up.

Trees