BPD human = pet psychological problems?

Started by ShyTurtle, January 02, 2021, 04:49:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShyTurtle

So I'm noticing a trend and I wonder if anyone else has in their life experiences too: bpd people tend to have mentally unwell pets.

My mother had a dog that was anxious and angry and would actually bite people. The vet put it on a prescription of prozac, but I don't know if it actually helped the poor animal.

Fast forward to today and I'm witnessing an acquaintance who neglects her dog so much that its nails are overgrown, it never goes for walks, or gets played with, it's afraid of everything and anxious, and I swear the dog is actually depressed now.  To add even more to this story, this person is a trained vet technician and should know better.

It makes me wonder about how many pets (probably mostly dogs) who are suffering because their owner struggles just to keep themselves afloat in life. It's sad really.
🐝➕

D.

I absolutely notice this trend.  Thank you for naming it.  Our cat would urinate on the floor inside so NPDxh put her outside.  He left, she came inside with me, and she never did it again.  I hear his current pets pee and poo on the bed.  I remember he thought it was funny to tease and bully our cat. 

Phoenix Rising

Yes I think so although I don't think it's just specific to BPD. I have seen this in those with NPD/APD and the cats/dogs they've owned. Incredibly callous and uncaring. It was amazing to see how lively the animals became once they were away from them.

I could see it happen with pets with BPD owners also though. They can be incredibly volatile. Must be hell for the animals :(
And here you are living despite it all..

Know this: the person who did this to you is broken. Not you... I will not watch you collapse

ShyTurtle

Quote from: C. on January 02, 2021, 06:40:52 PM
  I remember he thought it was funny to tease and bully our cat.

You made me remember that I forgot to mention my npd/bpd ex who would offer his tiny 2.5 lb dog beer and laugh about her stumbling around drunk and falling down the hard wooden stairs. He'd also scream at her when she peed on the floor after she likely made multiple attempts to get his attention and go outside. Some people should not be allowed to have animals.
🐝➕

Wilderhearts

If pwPDs abuse and neglect their own children, it wouldn't be any different with their pets.  Pets are so feeling and social, and have mental health too.  I think they can be affected much the same way we are.

Boat Babe

Cruelty to animals in childhood is a strong indicator of PD in later life.

It gets better. It has to.

SparkStillLit

Our animals are wary of updh. One of our dogs has gotten up in his cornflakes for raging at DS. One of our cats won't have to do with him (though that cat is really picky about who he will have to do with). Another of the dogs has bitten him, a long time ago, because he grabbed the dog in a rage. All the dogs are very large breeds. He upsets the animals with his voice all the time. The cat who won't have to do with him will often drape over me when he's ranting, the two older dogs will become restless and pace, and the young protective dog will begin barking. The other cat will hide.
I think animals know when people are unstable. To be under the sole care of someone like that must be hideous for something as helpless as an animal. It's bad enough for humans.