Is going NC cowardly and/or passive?

Started by feelingandhealing, January 21, 2021, 09:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starboard Song

That's right. That's why we abandon the normal rules of engagement as necessary to protect ourselves.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward

zak

You've had so much great advice and support in the many replies to your post. I just wanted to say thanks for posting as it's been therapeutic reading all of the replies, and just what I needed to hear right now. I've been NC with uNPDM since mid-2105 and have never for one minute regretted my decision. It's just some times, who really knows why, I get to feeling despondent that others have 'normal' relationships with their parent while I don't. I honestly know I don't miss her, but I miss the idea of a mother. I don't think NC is a sliver bullet but it does buy you a whole lot of peace and freedom and space to heal. I didn't have an exit discussion with my mother either, and I'm so glad you raised this here, as recently I have been feeling that I was a coward not to have explained my decision. I sincerely needed to hear the collective wisdom of those in this community. The journey goes on...

feelingandhealing

Quote from: whole hearted on March 22, 2021, 03:12:34 AM
it's been therapeutic reading all of the replies

Yes! It absolutely and positively has.  :hug: and the sense of community is very strong within this thread. Thanks to everyone for reading and feeling and aiding with our healing.

It hurts not to have had a 'normal' relationship with a parent.  I think I am finally feeling the grief, sadness and anger that comes from that situation. Your replies, as well as being NC, are greatly aiding myself mentally, emotionally and spiritually. 
You Can't Rush Your Healing - Trevor Hall

Isolation is a darkness to experience, but not a place in which to live - Kubler-Ross & Kessler