Treating you like a servant

Started by Jsinjin, April 05, 2021, 06:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jsinjin

I've been tracking this behavior as I have been more aware.   Is anyone else treated like a servant?   I'll explain: I am talking about the idea that a servant is invisible unless needed.   It's not about her demanding that I do things or serve her every need.   It's as though I am a victorian era servant standing in the wings expected to be there the moment there is need but completely ignored otherwise.   I am invisible, ignored, not worthy of inclusion in a discussion and I don't think she would notice I was not here if she didn't occasionally need help.   I started tracking it last week in my journal and it's been 6 days.   It's probably longer but the tracking has been 6 days.   If there is a need to control what I do she engaged and if she needs something she engages but there is no casual "hello", "how was your day", or "nice to see you". 

I used to say these things and it always annoyed her.   But I actually think the whole civility and normal behavior thing is a problem.for PD's
It is unwise to seek prominence in a field whose routine chores you do not enjoy.

-Wolfgang Pauli

11JB68

SparkStillLit

This is a *perfect description of what I feel like.
Why I can never really relax into anything or any self care with updh around. Depending on mood, I'm either being stalked, or ignored until something is wanted and then DAMMIT!!  Why wasn't I on it YESTERDAY!!!
As much as I am trying to get over that...well....I'm not entirely certain how one even gets over the stalking, and I do still cringe and jump at the demands. Internally. It's just so ingrained after so many years, even though I do more often think out a mindful response, more than in the past certainly.

Hazy111

You are and always will be an object to the PD person. If they can use you as a servant, they will.  Their needs come first, always.

Some PDs are more manipulative and clever and will indulge people with small talk and pretend to be interested in them and give them gifts (often money) to buy your loyalty and guilt you, help you with stuff etc. Its all a means to an end. Its all fake and insincere.

At least you have the knowledge  that there is no mirage , its open and blatant abuse.

tragedy or hope

Hazy 111 hit the nail on the head...

"...manipulative and clever and will indulge people with small talk and pretend to be interested in them and give them gifts (often money) to buy your loyalty and guilt you, help you with stuff etc. Its all a means to an end. Its all fake and insincere.

So true.
On the servant thing... and they don't say please either...

Once a pastor was at our home. As I was serving beverages, my unpdh was talking about something...  he said to me, "honey, why don't you trot upstairs and get me ____ whatever it was.

The pastor called him on it... Trot? What is she, some kind of race horse?  He also had no respect IMO, referring to me as if I were not in the room.

Both of them failed but I never heard the term again.

It is a good thing when others who they want to impress call them on their stuff. But it is rare.

Religious N's are everywhere.

"When people show you who they are, believe them."
~Maya Angelou

Believe it the first time, or you will spend the rest of your life in disbelief of what they can/will do; to you. T/H

Family systems are like spider webs. It takes years to get untangled from them.  T/H

Kat54

Yeah I get that one. Always had to be on my toes listening for him to start yelling at me. There was never a day to relax because if I didn't keep busy cleaning or whatever he would find something for me. It made me so anxious.
And Hazy 111 got it right. My ex would buy me nice things but nothing I ever really wanted, not much thought in it. And my ex was a master with manipulation and while I thought he was maybe sincere it was more for show.

SparkStillLit

The phrasing "I'll let you get that/do that" particularly if it's something he doesn't want to do.
I've started saying just a straight "no" to this stuff. As in a complete sentence. I really hate "I'll let"

IcedCoffee

Yes, all the time. Often she'll order me to do something with/for the children. Get this, do that. I'll be at the other end of the house, and she'll be right next to the children or the thing to be got!

losingmyself

My XH used to say "Why don't you FETCH me that thing?"
To which I would reply "I'm not a DOG!"

Cat of the Canals

My husband and I jokingly refer to ourselves as "subjects" when it comes to our respective PD mothers. And it's not just us, of course. It's everyone in their orbit.

H told unPD MIL a few weeks ago that he'd enjoy their conversations more if she wasn't always demanding to visit us or vice versa. She said, "I do not do that! When I want to see your sister, I don't have to demand anything! I just say to her, 'When are you coming home?' and she comes." 

:flat:

I guess it's not a demand if the loyal subject dutifully does as the queen says.

11JB68

I am so angry at myself lately and bitter that I've allowed this to happen.
Not only am i a servant, I work full time, being in significantly more money than he does, yet he tells me how much I can spend and on what. I come home from work and an expected to wait on him. Like others have said, god forbid I try to relax, he needs my help or there's something I should be doing.   Not supposed to sleep in on weekends either. Requests are often one word, or not a full sentence, rarely phrase or thank you.

SparkStillLit

I've honestly started saying no. Just plain no. Somebody around here says "No is a complete sentence" well I've taken that to heart. If I feel more charitable, I soften it up a bit with some pleasantries, but of late I'm fucking tired, I'm the only one working, and I'm sick of anybody but me getting ANY say how I use my damn time. HE is home all day, if he wants food or clean dishes or what the hell ever, he isn't any form of disabled. He can get off his ass and deal with it.
Plus I'm sick of fits. I DID my time with toddlers. I didn't HAVE any more children, and now they're grown and nearly grown. I'm not interested in permanent toddlers.

JustKeepTrying

Wow, did you phrase this better than anything description I have come up with

In the morning, after my OCPDxh would wake, I would get a cup of coffee and wait at the table, bottom of the stairs by the front door.  I would just wait.  For whatever instruction he would throw, keys to find, where are my shoes, call so and so, do this, research that,  whatever he wanted.  If I wasn't there he would go looking for me.  Never in all my years of working or leaving the house, did I do that.  I found my own keys and shoes.

And lord help me if I didn't complete the to do list by noon when he called.  Didn't matter if I was sick, on chemo, kids sick, whatever,  His list had to be done by noon. 

I often felt like his unpaid secretary.

Jsinjin

8 days and counting for me.   It's weird for me, the acts of service that I love to give are not an issue for me at all.   It's the complete dissociation and ignoring I exist except for the gets me down.   I have always envied those real or imaginary couples where the spouses depend on each other for comfort and interaction as a primary source of emotional well being.   Not speaking of the disney fairy tale, I mean the idea that "I had a bad day and what would make me feel better is a hug from her/him". 

I'm just a robot solution there as a source of continuum in normal activities but not important enough to acknowledge or depend on beyond the tasks as assigned.   All other things do not matter such as saying hello, giving a hug, asking how was your day, sitting with, eating with or including in activities. 

In my case there is no affair she is having, there is just a drive of control.  She doesn't need, want or expect any involvement with anyone for any reason beyond the activities she controls and handles.  All other parts of the world do not exist.   I'm just the part that has to be closest to her.
It is unwise to seek prominence in a field whose routine chores you do not enjoy.

-Wolfgang Pauli

SparkStillLit

Jsinjin once I wrote in my journal that I was like a piece of sporting equipment or some other type of thing like that, that he expected to be ready to hand to use when he wanted, and to always be maintained and functioning perfectly (through no effort on his part), and then to be chucked back in the closet when he was through. Sporting equipment doesn't have NEEDS or WANTS or any PERSONALITY OF ITS OWN, and it was extremely irritating that I did.
That's more or less what the entry said. That was like 23 years ago. Maybe more. I feel dumb saying that.

Lauren17

Quote from: Jsinjin on April 07, 2021, 07:23:25 AM
It's the complete dissociation and ignoring I exist except for the gets me down.   I have always envied those real or imaginary couples where the spouses depend on each other for comfort and interaction as a primary source of emotional well being.   Not speaking of the disney fairy tale, I mean the idea that "I had a bad day and what would make me feel better is a hug from her/him". 
This is exactly the hard part.
Recently, uBPDh worked very late several days in a row. He saw no need to give advance notice, explanations or apologies. DD pointed out she hadn't seen or heard from dad in 5 days. In that time I had gotten two "working late" texts.
Suddenly, one day, he comes home early and expects dinner served and the kids to be excited to play video games with him.  Yes, so much like a servant or a piece of sporting equipment.
I just realized this is a perfect example of how I've changed my reaction, but he hasn't changed at all. In the past, I would demand explanations, let him know I was hurt, make snide comments. He would DARVO, I'd end up apologizing. I've stopped expecting common courtesy. He continues to behave this way, but it's no longer a struggle. What it is is discouraging and lonely.
I've cried a thousand rivers. And now I'm swimming for the shore" (adapted from I'll be there for you)

Hazy111

My father phoned me every single day after my mom died and he was on his own.

Always about 10 o clock  at night, when i discovered he would do his round of calls. I was like 3 or 4 on the list. I dutifully answered of course. I mentioned this to my therapist at the time and he said why dont you just stop answering. I was like aghast i cant do that ! Anyway i tried and he just kept phoning and phoning , then getting others to phone me. I was deep in the fog back then.

I once asked him , did he phone my sister every day and he just  answered " No, she doesnt answer".  So thats that. I do, so he rings me.  That was then , not now.

I was reading Masterson (the acknowledged expert on PD)  and he described the schizoid personality as being raised in a master/servant family. The child is their to perform for the parents needs from very early on and then ignored. Its emotional needs are ignored , gives up on the mother, and uses itself to self regulate emotional needs

GentleSoul

Quote from: Hazy111 on April 07, 2021, 08:53:34 AM

I once asked him , did he phone my sister every day and he just  answered " No, she doesnt answer".  So thats that. I do, so he rings me. 

Many thanks for sharing this, Hazy. 

Gosh, so powerful.  There it is.  We do it so they do it.  Also it really does show they really don't care who does what they want, as long as it is done. 

bohemian butterfly

I'm haunted by 4 words, "I need you to..."

I usually heard this several times, Every. Single. Day.   

And usually these, "I need you to" favors/demands were really petty things, but things that would make me feel weird if I said no.  Example.  I would be standing outside, talking to him and he''d interrupt me and say, "hey, pick that up and throw it away."  And I'm like "huh?" because I'd be confused, I mean,  I was talking to him about something.  And he'd point to a small piece of trash (like a sticky note or something) that was lying on the ground between us.  It always irked me because these types of things happened constantly and it really felt like he just liked ordering me around.  Or if I walked up to him and he was watering the plants, he'd say, "here, water these plants, I need to....."   The only way I can describe it is that it felt like he was trying to steal my energy, time, and agency.  It's like I was just an extension of him.  There was no thought that I might have been in the middle of something else and/or that I was a separate person. 

I feel sick just thinking about it.  It made me anxious and I started to avoid him because it seemed like every time he saw me, every interaction we had, he had some task.  Ugh. 

Update/edit:  Just remembered something.  Once, when I was outside working in the garden, pulling weeds and tidying up, he walked by and said, "I just love it when you work, it's such a turn on." 

Um, thanks? 🤦‍♀️

Empie2204

I had to be ready and at disposal at any time. I bet my narc regretted that I was not on remote control.
When I dared to complain I was called uncooperative.

His favourite command was "You will buy me this... or you will wash me this jacket."
Emphasis on WILL (= no chance of avoiding) and on ME.

And of course nothing I did was good.
(Damned if you do, damned if you don't.)

After I left him I told him that the reason for my leaving was that I was not worthy  enough, so I decided to withdraw.

He perceived that as a lethal offence.
But I was too emptied, exhausted and worn out to care.