Figuring Out The Relationship

Started by Kat54, April 13, 2021, 10:13:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kat54

A friend who I've know for many years and also in personal business with him. Our friendship has kind of started to change a little. It started out as business dealing as my financial advisor and he's been an enormous help during and since my divorce. Aside from business we talk a lot and he's come up for dinner to my house a couple times. The dinners started at his suggestion as he wanted to see my new home and I had some financial papers to sign. He came up a second time for dinner again financial business but I got the feeling it was more a good excuse to get together which I was fine with. He himself and his wife have split up and she moved pretty far away with one of their younger kids and he still has the older two who are in HS and college. They are separated but are not yet seeking a divorce. He said it's been amicable and he bought her the house she is living in currently and he goes there fairly frequently to see his daughter.
So this is the thing. Last time we got together it was nice, we talked a lot , had dinner I made...again. He's lately had to go see his wife in the state she lives in a couple times, once their daughter was sick and getting treatment and then again at a holiday he drove down with his other daughter. I haven't seen him in about a month and a half but we have talked on the phone or texted. He said he really likes hanging out with me and enjoys my company and wants to come back to see me and go out to dinner.  It started stirring up some emotions for me and yeah I like him, he's nice, he's smart we enjoy the same things. Now I'm getting the feeling he's back tracking. We were supposed to get together after he came back home recently and he's busy, his week is packed with business stuff. He called me over the weekend and said maybe I'll come up tonight and we'll go to dinner... but let me make sure my daughter is all set for the night. He calls back and says he can't come he and his daughter had been invited to a friends for dinner that he thought was likely going to get cancelled but was not so let's get together in a couple days. I text him yesterday about two days after speaking to him and said it's beautiful weather a great night to sit outside and have dinner and a little wine. He texts back, that's sounds like fun, but his week is crazy, next week will be better.
It pissed me off, didn't answer for awhile and just said I'll talk to you next week.
He's ghosting me. And then I got all emotional and thought how dumb of me to get tangled up with someone that just isn't available it seems. But he keeps saying how much he likes being with me. And I get it he's got lots going on but don't mess with my head. I'm still trying to pick up the pieces from a divorce that literally shattered me. Maybe this is all a bad idea and I should tell him let's be friends and leave it at that. I can't get emotionally involved with someone who' can't fit me into his schedule. But as I do I doubt myself and can't read people and maybe it's unintentional on his part but he's tugging on my emotions and I guess I'll have to set some boundaries. I can't go down some rabbit hole and then get depressed. Am I over reacting to this?

notrightinthehead

He is showing you the amount of contact he wants. Which seems to be less than you want. There seems to be a difference of the amount of closeness you are hoping for and he is hoping for.
When I feel that another person is backtracking I backtrack too. The last thing I want in my life is another hopeless relationship or one in which I give more than I get.
If I was in that position I would be grateful to him for showing me relatively clearly and kindly that he wants to spend less time with me and I would use my time to do something that I enjoy.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.