New, young adult, living with PD mother

Started by iwcttag, April 30, 2021, 03:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iwcttag

Hi, I don't know what to say but I am grateful for this space to talk in once I feel comfortable to do so. I am loving at home with my mum dad and brother. Witnessed emotionally abusive relationship between mum and dad. Have been on receiving end of gaslighting and severe mental health crisis as result. Recovering. Leaving home this September for uni. Currently at college as a safe place.
With a therapist over the phone but she often cancels and hasn't been in touch for a few weeks despite meaning to do twice weekly sessions

iwcttag

Must add she hasn't had a formal diagnosis of a PD. Just my guess. And others around me.

Thru the Rain

I think many of us here had similar experiences as young adults. Having the option to stay at college can really help separate from any difficult family dynamic.

As you navigate relationships, you don't need to rely on a formal diagnosis. It's great to read up on the toolbox here to understand where certain behaviors may come from. I would really encourage you to explore the toolbox, look for the topics that seem to describe your interactions with your family, and pay special attention to those "what to do" and "what not to do" sections.

Ultimately the only behavior you can control is your own. I know it can feel unfair when another person's behavior impacts you so negatively, and especially from your family. You should be able to expect and receive love and support from your family, but the many stories shared on this site show that family doesn't always fill a healthy role in our lives.