BBC Ian Wright Home Truths

Started by lightworld, May 07, 2021, 05:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lightworld

If you're in the UK did you watch this on BBC One last night? It's a harrowing watch about Ian Wright the professional footballer's abusive childhood.  It's so brave of him to do this and the reason he's done it is to help the over 1million children in the UK suffering from abuse.

It was interesting that Wright did not recognise emotional abuse until it was pointed out to him by a psychologist. It's so common to think of abuse as physical or sexual but all abuse involves emotional and psycho!logical abuse too.

Trigger warning - it does bring upsetting issues back. I've been dreaming of my parent's abuse and I'm thinking of it today but I feel it's so important to bring this out into the open and I admire Wright for doing that. It makes those of us who were abused feel that we are not alone, sad as that may be and it may help people recognise the different forms of abuse.
An empathic, highly sensitive, caring, loving, naïve, emotional and vulnerable child is a prime target for a narcissistic parent
Clare Lane

Hazy111

Yes i saw it, explains a lot and had ramifications in his career and others.

I used to watch Ian Wright as a player and he used to regularly "leave his foot in" as they called it, going into challenges late on opposition players.

I also heard a recent  fascinating interview by an old teammate of his, Alan Smith. He said he couldnt play alongside Ian  and it affected his confidence so much he lost form. He even sought  outside psychological help to deal with it, to no avail and he left the club.

lightworld

Oh I didn't know that, wonder if his background caused his aggression. I've since found out that he's had several children with different mothers, it was unclear in the film how he is as a father to his own children.
An empathic, highly sensitive, caring, loving, naïve, emotional and vulnerable child is a prime target for a narcissistic parent
Clare Lane