Mother's Day in the United States

Started by Poison Ivy, May 09, 2021, 10:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poison Ivy

Sending wishes for a tolerable day to everyone, especially those whose relationships with their own mothers or mothers-in-law or children are less than ideal.

Free2Bme

Thank you PI,  wishing you the same today.

I had my breakdown yesterday, had the cry and moved forward, again.  Missing my kids, will only see 1:4 today, and so sad about my mom.

Then come the messages from friends that are doing normal mothers day stuff, spa day, dinner, get togethers, etc.   I hate Mother's Day, it was my updxh's favorite day to inflict pain.   My friends don't get it.

I know 'friends' here understand.  It is a blessing to have this place to share and encourage.

Hugs to the Mom's  :bighug:

Wilderhearts

I certainly came here today for this same reason.  It is a day full of ambivalence, for me.

Two writings that have helped me today:

1. Rebecca Solnit, on mothering, and honouring mothers from whom we need to protect ourselves: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/may/09/mothers-day-feelings-holiday-rebecca-solnit

2.  Anne Lamont, on an unhealthy mother's love: https://www.facebook.com/AnneLamott/posts/here-is-my-annual-mothers-day-post-only-for-those-of-you-who-dread-the-holiday-d/321351226020057/

Sending love not just to the daughters of unhealed mothers, but to the healing mothers, and the mothers who have to grieve their children, for whatever reason.

Amadahy

What a sweet wish.  I wrote all the holidays I hate today.  LOL.  I only like Halloween and maybe Independence Day (US).  I've decided to celebrate the Celtic holidays!  The others are just too "loaded."  So, happy (just passed) Beltaine!  :D 
Ring the bells that still can ring;
Forget your perfect offering.
There's a crack in everything ~~
That's how the Light gets in!

~~ Leonard Cohen

1footouttadefog

It has not even been mentioned by my husband. 

Poison Ivy

My day has gone okay. I have two children, adults, who live out of state, and both are visiting. We're all fully vaccinated. Not so good part of the day has been having my ex-husband here. I felt compelled to say it was okay for him to come to the house (and stay overnight) despite it being Mother's Day because our older child is leaving in a few days, and neither child is eager to visit him at his house, which is dirty and messy.

Call Me Cordelia

My day was meh. Everyone was tired and out of sorts. I had asked my DH to please rally the troops to tidy the house but today clearly was not the day. So I baked a dessert and chilled out with my kids. And didn't really think about my mother once, truth be told.

Kat54

I have to say, this was the first Mother's Day that was so completely good, honest, happy. My ex was out of town visiting his sister so absolutely no influence on my kids from him. They came to my new home, we hung out a bit, they took me out to lunch. We laughed a lot and talked.
Previous Mother's Day's were filled with anxiety and just over the top bad stuff. My ex couldn't do any kind of holiday without some kind upset, upheaval. I felt like because it wasn't a day focused on him so he would usually find a way to make it about him anyway.
Not anymore...

Free2Bme

Happy for you Kat54, you deserve it.  :bigwink: