anniversary month

Started by Poison Ivy, May 12, 2021, 09:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poison Ivy

On this day 12 years ago, my then-husband was fired for doing a dangerous thing at his job. (He did the thing becaue of absent-mindedness, not malice, but it was a clear automatic firing behavior, and it turned out he had received warnings previously, which he hadn't told me about.) Last week was the anniversary of one of my children getting arrested for operating while intoxicated. Later this month will be the anniversary of the same child (different year) being at a party with classmates, under the supervision of one student's parents, and the party-goers getting busted for underage drinking.  And the end of the month will mark the fifth anniversary of my divorce being finalized.

I feel as though I'm finally at a time and emotional space that I remember these events but don't feel traumatized by thinking about them.

Do other people have similar experiences?

athene1399

I used to get so fired up thinking about my ex and all the stuff I put up with. Now I don't. I feel like I accepted what happened and have moved on from it. I used to focus on how unfair it was, and now that doesn't matter. There was never an anniversary associated with it, maybe sometimes his birthday, but normally it would just be thoughts that reminded me of him. Now it doesn't impact me.

IcedCoffee

It's a sign that you are normal!

From Frank:

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now, as tears subside
I find it all so amusing

That last line looks a bit callous. But it's really not. Things that once had me suicidal I can now look back at and smile. I got through them, and went on to some great things. It's healthy, it makes me feel good about myself, and gives me some confidence that I can get through most things life will throw at me.