Enforced in-person NC with waify mum because of Covid.

Started by Boat Babe, May 08, 2021, 08:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boat Babe

Because mum lives 100 miles away and because of Covid, I have only seen her once in 14 months. We speak about three times a week on the phone.

I feel so much better for not having to spend time with her. It just came to me in a flash. Not looking forward to lifting of restrictions!

It gets better. It has to.

GettingOOTF

A lot of things in my life changed with COVID. Where I'm am we locked down early and strict.

Now things are slowly opening up there are some things I will go back to doing and some things I realized over the last year simply don't serve me and I won't be doing them going forward.

You are under no obligation to resume in-person contact with your mother.

In many ways the last year has been a gift as it's allowed so many of us to really see what does and doesn't serve us. It stripped away so many of the things we used to distract ourselves from our lives.  I have ended relationships and broken habits because of this. Overall I'm much stronger than I was a year ago and so much more content in my life.

Sneezy

Quote from: GettingOOTF on May 08, 2021, 09:02:22 AM
In many ways the last year has been a gift as it's allowed so many of us to really see what does and doesn't serve us.
:yeahthat:
Before Covid, I felt obligated to see my mom in person twice a week and talk on the phone every other day.  Now it's down to once a week in person and a couple phone calls a week.  I want to keep it like this.  It's tough, because mom is pushing to see and talk to me more.  But I'm trying to keep my boundaries in place.  (Wish me luck  ;D)

Boat Babe

moglow

But BB, didnt you mention not feeling your best (cough cough sniffle wheeze). You really need to be careful about exposing anyone ... 🤐😁
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Boat Babe

What I once heard described as "political measles" !

As it goes, I fell and cracked a rib a month ago and it's healing really, really slowly 😄

p123

Quote from: Boat Babe on May 08, 2021, 08:48:09 AM
Because mum lives 100 miles away and because of Covid, I have only seen her once in 14 months. We speak about three times a week on the phone.

I feel so much better for not having to spend time with her. It just came to me in a flash. Not looking forward to lifting of restrictions!

You're not the only one - I lived 25 miles from Dad and travel was restricted. BUT the abuse I had from Dad and brother (who could visit living a mile away) was unreal. I got told I was making it all up so I didnt have to visit and was selfish for leaving Dad to die on his own. (He wanted for nothing, hes not ill, can look after himself, has "meals on wheels"). Refused to accept food deliveries!

Since I've been able to visit him since its been awful. I think I'm the only person who didnt want lockdown to end.

nanotech

Yes that's been a relief for me too. Luckily for me my dad hasn't wanted anyone near him since the pandemic hit. Lol He's mobile and independent and so phone calls have been okay.
He's still not letting family in!
Fine by me.
I think that once he relaxes though it will turn on its head and then will begin the demands.
But he has shown how independent he can be. He's also shown that he doesn't need to ring 999 every week with things such as one day old constipation or  'a sore elbow'.
Yes BB keep those boundaries in place. It's your new normal. Besides,  we all have to continue being cautious, for their sake!

p123

Quote from: nanotech on June 01, 2021, 10:34:19 AM
Yes that's been a relief for me too. Luckily for me my dad hasn't wanted anyone near him since the pandemic hit. Lol He's mobile and independent and so phone calls have been okay.
He's still not letting family in!
Fine by me.
I think that once he relaxes though it will turn on its head and then will begin the demands.
But he has shown how independent he can be. He's also shown that he doesn't need to ring 999 every week with things such as one day old constipation or  'a sore elbow'.
Yes BB keep those boundaries in place. It's your new normal. Besides,  we all have to continue being cautious, for their sake!

I think if we'd had a nuclear holocaust, or a zombie apocalypse, Dad would still moan and want me to visit him for no reason.....