De-cluttering

Started by Amadahy, May 27, 2021, 09:59:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amadahy

Hi, everybody!

I used to be such a fussbudget when it came to tidying the house -- same colored towels and washcloths all together, sheets folded just so, etc.  I've noticed in the year since Nmom's decline and subsequent entry into long-term care that I have not only avoided tidying, but have really come to dread getting rid of things.  Old bills will sit for weeks past my paying them, junk mail mixed in, for example.  I have to make myself sort things of this nature and I feel almost panicked doing it.  One thing that sort of precipitated this was moving Nmom from her apartment into long-term care.  I have a few boxes of her things that I haven't touched.  Tomorrow will be one year.  I am laid off work for the next couple of weeks and have decided to sort these, making throw away and give away stacks.  I both dread it and believe I will find some relief.  Now, to just DO it.  :)

I know many have discussed hoarding tendencies with PDers, but I feel like this tendency for me has to do with C-PTSD and that breaking through to a big tidy up might be a real step in healing.  Wish me luck!

xoxo Amadahy
Ring the bells that still can ring;
Forget your perfect offering.
There's a crack in everything ~~
That's how the Light gets in!

~~ Leonard Cohen

Poison Ivy

BeautifulCrazy

You can do this!!
Don't forget to take breaks and self care!!

Boat Babe

Can you enrol a friend to help you, if only to make the tea and provide moral support?

I really struggle with life admin. It helps me if I  use my diary every day and also do just one small thing a day.

Good luck 😃
It gets better. It has to.

1footouttadefog

I can relate to this.

I recently realized that certain boxes and ContaIners of papers gave stress.

I realized it was because I feared something in them represented undone work at a time that I was overwhelmed and could not track on memory and needing to makes lists and use a calendar.

I went through, sorted them and got rid of things no longer needed.  I separated all actionable items and put them in a stack on my desk. 

This halved the amount of containers and they are now inert for the most part.  There is nothing actionable in them.  I over time have widdled down the stack on the desk as well. 

What a stress reliever.  I want to do this with every area of my house, I am working in books and school stuff now that I graduated both home schoolers. 

I also have  belongings from people who have passed.  Those will be more completely dealt with after I meet a certain work deadline. 

It's like taking back territory on many fronts.