Found some resources on TikTok, of all places

Started by HeadAboveWater, June 27, 2021, 03:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeadAboveWater

I've been lurking on TikTok, mostly as a form of entertainment. I was surprised that on my "for you page," several useful mental health videos have shown up. I have particularly benefited from hearing people talk about "disruptor phrases" and "boundary phrases."

Of the fight, flight, freeze, or fawn responses, I tend to freeze and sometimes fawn. It can be hours or days later before I process what I experienced and think, "Here's what I wish I had said." So I am a person who loves having a script ready to go. TikTok users kami_orange and domesticblisters have put up content on "disruptors," which are verbal and non-verbal stop signs as well as "boundary phrases" that one can use to halt or redirect conversation. It is like an expansion pack for the already great list of phrases in the Medium Chill resource page https://outofthefog.website/what-to-do-2/2015/12/3/medium-chill. A phrase I learned from domesticblisters that I love is "I understand that my decision upsets you, but I am not taking feedback on this issue. Let's talk about something else." Also useful when someone assumes that you would be upset or angry about something that winds them up is "Oh, I think we've had a misunderstanding." 

Anyway, I was surprised by the quality of some of the content on this app that I used to think of as primarily a place for dance trend videos and cute animal antics. The usual caveat that not everyone on the internet is an expert applies. Still, thought I'd share in case someone else finds this resource as helpful as I have.