Resignation letter advice

Started by Justme729, July 09, 2021, 04:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justme729

I am leaving a work situation.   I adore the staff actually,  but the day to day requirements are trauma triggers for me.   It is taken too much on my mental load to process my own trauma while helping little people process their trauma.   However, I don't want to come straight out and say that.  To anyone.   I don't want to appear weak.   However, my children need me to be 100% for them and I can't do that in my current role. 

I am very bad with wording and get nervous easily when typing these sorts of emails.   I know it will hurt the people that I work with, but if anything this PD (unchoosen) has taught me is it's OK to put my family of choice first.   

The Inner Light

You don't have to give a reason for resigning from a job at all.  You could just say that you've decided to move on.  If they ask why, it sounds like it's a true statement to say that you've decided to focus on your family.  I would thank them for the opportunity they gave you and leave it at that.  In my experience it's better to leave on good terms than "let 'em have it" or give them a piece of your mind.

You might need the reference from them someday.

Good luck!

Thru the Rain

I agree - you don't have to put any reason in writing.

"I have decided to leave my position. Please consider this my 2 weeks notice. My last day will be...."

Boat Babe

One of our members recently said they were a chronic "over explainer" recently, and I thought "that's me to a T" (British expression). That's pure JADE in action, a learnt trauma response.

So put in your resignation in a very grey rock manner; no explanation, no emotions, no reasons. I am leaving and thanks for all the fish!
It gets better. It has to.

Justme729

Quote from: Boat Babe on July 10, 2021, 03:11:59 AM
One of our members recently said they were a chronic "over explainer" recently, and I thought "that's me to a T" (British expression). That's pure JADE in action, a learnt trauma response.

So put in your resignation in a very grey rock manner; no explanation, no emotions, no reasons. I am leaving and thanks for all the fish!

I can't remember what JADE stands for, but that makes sense.   I always have a tendency to need to explain or defend myself.  I'm friendly outside of work with a couple people so that's what makes me sad, is I know it'll hurt them. 

Andeza

They may be sad they don't see you daily anymore, but if you enjoy their company make plans to hang out now and then, grab a coffee or whatever. When I left my last job, I left a work buddy as well. Over a year later,  and one cross country move, we still text, share baby pictures, and check in with each other despite her being a total flake, lol. :roll:

Now if you think they'll take your "I need to be with my family right now," full stop- personally, it may be time to evaluate the quality of that relationship.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Justme729

Thanks y'all, I did give a generic reason (moving).   So it isn't personal and leaves the door open for the future.