Hello

Started by Acca222, July 15, 2021, 10:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Acca222

Hi everyone. Before I continue,  must there be an actual diagnosis for narcissism or just a strong likelihood?

Acca

D.

Welcome  :)  I am relatively new here so I look forward to other responses.  However, my experience has been this is a lot about the PD behaviors.  Sometimes people are diagnosed.  Often not.  That is one of the challenges with PDs, not interested in self-reflection or diagnosis.  When I first started participating here I was very interested in categorizing my parents/ex husband w/the appropriate PD.  Over time I learned that understanding their behaviors, and most important to me, my own coping, has been incredibly helpful.  There is some solid, extremely useful information on the website about personality disorders, toolbox, and resources as well.  If you haven't already I suspect you will find that quite helpful as well as the communications on the forum.  Again, welcome and I look forward to seeing you on the forum  :)

blunk

Welcome Aca222. No, it is not necessary for the PD person in your life to have a formal diagnosis. Due to the nature of personality disorders, it is rare for the individual to seek out a diagnosis. One of the tools in the tabs at the top of the page is the Top 100 Traits. I found it extremely helpful in identifying (or just having a name for) the behaviors that I was seeing in my bpdxh. Good luck to you, please feel free to share your story when you are ready.

xredshoesx

Quote from: blunk on July 16, 2021, 07:55:27 AM
Welcome Aca222. No, it is not necessary for the PD person in your life to have a formal diagnosis. Due to the nature of personality disorders, it is rare for the individual to seek out a diagnosis. One of the tools in the tabs at the top of the page is the Top 100 Traits. I found it extremely helpful in identifying (or just having a name for) the behaviors that I was seeing in my bpdxh. Good luck to you, please feel free to share your story when you are ready.

Thanks blunk!  i couldn't have said it better myself.

acca we focus more on how we respond and react to the PD/ uPD person in our life vs an actual diagnosis- furthermore this is all people helping people through the experience- no one here can diagnosis