Full Inbox Red Message/Warnings.

Started by SonofThunder, July 21, 2021, 05:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonofThunder

Admins, is it a good recommendation for all of us members to empty our PM inboxes after each message we read,  so a 'full inbox' warning does not arise for the sender when a member replies to another members PM?   

Im not sure how many messages an inbox will hold before being full?

Do newer members have less inbox room than long-time members? 

Thank you.

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

moglow

We intentionally set limits for personal messages in order to more firmly encourage (particularly new) members to use the board as intended. We've found the communal support here is more helpful overall.

The problem with new(er) members PMing others is, they easily become dependent on other members for support and advice. It defeats the purpose of the board and members become isolated from a group who could otherwise provide a wide variety of experience and wisdom. Consider what happens when we inevitably become focused on the next cycle of our own stuff. That/those new members then feel ignored. Abandoned. Unwanted. Trust is damaged. Takes them right back where they came in. So yes, their PMs are more strictly limited.

In all honesty, if I could eliminate PM ability altogether for younger/newer members, I would.

Just my $.07 for today, and thank you for asking.
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

SonofThunder

Quote from: moglow on July 21, 2021, 07:12:00 PM
We intentionally set limits for personal messages in order to more firmly encourage (particularly new) members to use the board as intended. We've found the communal support here is more helpful overall.

The problem with new(er) members PMing others is, they easily become dependent on other members for support and advice. It defeats the purpose of the board and members become isolated from a group who could otherwise provide a wide variety of experience and wisdom. Consider what happens when we inevitably become focused on the next cycle of our own stuff. That/those new members then feel ignored. Abandoned. Unwanted. Trust is damaged. Takes them right back where they came in. So yes, their PMs are more strictly limited.

In all honesty, if I could eliminate PM ability altogether for younger/newer members, I would.

Just my $.07 for today, and thank you for asking.

moglow, thank you for the full explanation.  I will keep my inbox empty just in the event I am PM'd I can receive and read.  I can always simply not reply and delete if it's not something I'm interested in entertaining, but I do understand your valid points and concerns.

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.