Head spinning with coworker

Started by Justme729, August 22, 2021, 11:11:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justme729

I'm a new member of a well established team.  It's always been the 3 of them, now I'm the 4th.   Education field. 

To make a long story short, my observation so far is the team lead says jump and the expected response is "how high."   The expectation is we eat lunch together daily.  That during specials time we sit and work together in her room.  I didn't one day and it was a big deal.    The latest is being told I need to find my village for my kids.   I am expect to stay 1-1.5 late daily.   I need to call my mom, named a specific friend, my husband, etc.   Lets just say, I wasn't pleased.  I didn't respond who I wish I had.   I did state, we don't have anyone.  It's just me and my husband.   I won't be putting my kids off on others who have their own responsibilities.  Mostly ive just been staying medium chill.

However, I see a confrontation coming.   She doesn't value my education and experience.   
She said it didn't count.  I know she wants to implement something I disagree with strongly.   I can choose to go along with it or cause a stir.   If I cause a stir I have the research to back up my stance.  So I'm not concerned. 

I normally process this stuff with my therapist, but we haven't connected in two weeks due to our schedules/vacations.

xredshoesx

ughhhh.

i'm in the same field.  you can work to contract and be a great educator.  you can be a team player and not spend every living breathing moment at WORK taking care of other people's children.   i am so tired of the 'teacher as martyr'  idea that folks have of what it means to be a good teacher.

as for shared prep time, unless it's a PLC that's mandatory shouldn't covid had you all social distancing?  i walk on my lunch after i spray down my room.  that's MY TIME. 

good teachers have boundaries.  NO is a complete sentence.  we still have two full weeks before school starts and one full week of break before reporting and my boss, being SO EXCITED to be able to micromanage us all from one place again (more than half our staff taught from home last school year) that we have already received 10 emails after the one we typically get that reminds us what day we are reporting back. TEN EMAILS.   i start my room/ subject prep tomorrow - i am giving a little extra time this week because they broke down my subject to different grade levels and the person who left retired but didn't sort the materials for the custodians to deliver to the different rooms..... and i don't need my colleagues all freaked out by a dearth of extra supplies delivered in the middle of the day our first week back kwim?

Empie2204

Ouch!
It´s the same all around the world.
(Europe here.)

The trend is that only 0-24 teachers are good.
And school administration staff... thinking one thing, speaking the other and doing the third.

Justme729

I think the health department lady would flip with in person meetings being required.  For whole staff, PLC, mentor-mentee.   We are in a mask mandate in an mask optional school.

I don't mind the occasional late afternoon.   With advance notice.   Or knowing Wednesdays are meeting days....don't make plans.  I really struggle with boundaries and I am a perfectionist.  Honestly, teaching as long as I have and using a very scripted, workbook based curriculum there isn't much to actually plan or prep.  Most materials are common classroom materials that require no prep.