Update to Questioning Myself Again

Started by Adria, September 20, 2021, 10:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adria

After reading everyone's replies, I reread them a couple more times.  I sat back and tried to understand my part in this and where the hiccups seem to be in my relationship with my daughter.  Son and I are so much alike, there is rarely a problem unless he gets sick (mental illness) again.  Daughter and I are completely opposites of one another.  Anyway,  I walked over to her house and discussed with her the two topics at hand.  I started out by saying in a jokingly way, "Ya know, we are so opposite . . . How about this and how about that.  What are your thoughts?"  She was totally receptive and the things we didn't agree on we agreed to figure out at a later date, so the kids could all sleep over without issue.

My daughter and I have lived hours away from eachother for the last 15 years.  She has always been very belligerent whenver I've tried to talk with her, and usually would storm out of the room ending any and all communication.  I guess, I have been thinking it is the same way even now that we live down the street from each other, and I have, in my mind, been reacting to the old ways.  Things have improved between us because we saw old patterns emerging and both of us discussed it and have tried to make changes.  So, anyway we were able to talk things out this morning and things are on the upswing again.  Thank you for all your help and pointing out where I may be in error.  Sometimes, it's hard to see the forest through the trees.
For a flower to blossom, it must rise from the dirt.

Latchkey

Great to hear this Adria! I haven't been too active here recently but I am happy things are going well.
What is your plan to do with your one wild and precious life?
-Mary Oliver
-
I can be changed by what happens to me but I refuse to be reduced by it.
-Maya Angelou
-
When we have the courage to do what we need to do, we unleash mighty forces that come to our aid.

Adria

For a flower to blossom, it must rise from the dirt.