Ending financial abuse - ex still finds ways to access my account

Started by stcroix1979, October 21, 2021, 10:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stcroix1979

Hello Out of the FOG,

I am wondering if anyone has had this experience:

I left my NPD ex in late July and have been no contact for the vast majority of the time. I woke up this morning to see he had withdrawn nearly $2000 from my checking account. I had changed all my passwords, but it looks like he still has this account linked to a credit card and paid off his card using my money.

This has happened in the past and I do not understand how to unlink my account from his from my end. I know this is more of a technical question but does anyone know how to proceed here?

I of course want to call the bank and tell them this is fraud, straight up. But I am still afraid of him.

Thank you as always.

moglow

Open a new account in your name only, close the other account entirely or just abandon it if his name is connected with it in any way. Done!
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

square

Yes, that is the surefire way to 100% solve this.

Do this for ALL accounts - checking, savings, credit cards.

moglow

Another thought - when you open new accounts consider pulling your credit report, see what's on there. Never hurts to do a review, clean up old items and review/resolve those you may have been unaware of entirely.
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Andeza

If your name is the only name on the account, call the bank today and dispute the charges. He just STOLE money from you. Move all funds out of that account today and into a new account. Might require a visit to the bank to achieve, but it will be worth it.

If his name is on that account, have yourself removed and set up your own. If this is the case, the bank will probably not reimburse funds... There have been exceptions, but they are few.

The reason I say remove yourself from the account in the case of a joint account is so that if he runs the account negative, the bank won't be coming after you and your credit.

Moglow is correct, check your credit and consider whether freezing it would be appropriate in your circumstances.

-Former bank teller
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.