You’ll Marry Someone Like Your Father/Mother?

Started by Justanotherlostgirl, October 25, 2021, 07:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justanotherlostgirl

A bit of an interesting "psychological exercise" I wanted to think about, and I was curious if you've come to the same conclusion about your PD SO/parent.

People always say you'll marry someone like your parents. Do you all see the similarities like I do in my relationship? I traveled thousands of miles to escape my father, just to end up with someone so incredibly similar.

Same:
-moody
-chaos manufacturer
-unreliable
-cheater
-liar
-likes to put people down
-unable to accept criticism

Different:
-stbx is more outward, father more inward
-stbx rages, father quietly seethes
-stbx never plans ahead, father was more manipulative

It took me a LONG time to realize that my father likely has a PD, because his behaviors are very subdued compared to my uPDH. Even now, being in therapy and talking about my stbx, I still hesitate to talk about my father possibly having a PD, although I see all the signs of it. It helps me to understand exactly HOW I ended up in this situation. My childhood made me believe that a lack of boundaries and this behavior was normal.

I thought maybe we could have an exercise where we list the similar traits of our SO and parent to see where they intersect and diverge. Anyone interested?

As an additional bonus, I'm curious what everyone's MBPT is, because I've read a lot of people with INFJ personality type end up in these abusive relationships. I am INFJ, and it seems like there is a disproportionate number of us dealing with this (I've already met 3 other INFJ's in abusive relationships, and we are very rare!)

SeaBreeze

In my case, I married two different uNPD men who are the male versions of my uNPD mother. Many of us are groomed by birth by PD parents to accept or downplay PD behaviors from future partners in general. Here's to breaking the cycle and coming Out of the FOG!

Justanotherlostgirl

Quote from: SeaBreeze on October 25, 2021, 07:57:42 PM
In my case, I married two different uNPD men who are the male versions of my uNPD mother. Many of us are groomed by birth by PD parents to accept or downplay PD behaviors from future partners in general. Here's to breaking the cycle and coming Out of the FOG!

Cheers to that, better to know what you're dealing with than to be in the dark.

SeaBreeze

To better answer your question, my late mother, and both my ex-H and current H, share/d the following traits:

*Never wrong
*Mood disorder
*Easily triggered into rages (mom was and current H is much more explosive than ex-H)
*Rages followed by silent treatment
*Superiority complex (smirk, literally)
*Chronic liars; theft
*Mocking
*Delusional/Magical Thinking
*Financial abusers
*Emotional abusers

Late mother took more of the waif/victim approach. Ex-H very grandiose/overt narc, and is at least upfront in that he's an "unapologetic a-hole" (his words!) but can play waif to get his way. Current H more passive/covert, and love-bombed the heck out of me when we first met, but his aggressive/overt side comes out when he's triggered. It took me years to realize cocky ex-H and seemingly more humble 2nd H operate at the same base level. Now I can't un-see it!

Poison Ivy

I'm a woman. I thought I was marrying my father (good provider, loyal, smart), but it seems I married my mother (smart, anxious, depressed, some tendencies toward being a "victim") instead. The only person in my or my ex-husband's family who I think had an NPD was my ex's late father.

Justanotherlostgirl

Quote from: SeaBreeze on October 25, 2021, 08:18:20 PM
To better answer your question, my late mother, and both my ex-H and current H, share/d the following traits:

*Never wrong
*Easily triggered into rages (mom was and current H is much more explosive than ex-H)
*Rages followed by silent treatment
*Superiority complex (smirk, literally)
*Chronic liars; theft
*Mocking
*Delusional/Magical Thinking
*Financial abusers
*Emotional abusers

Late mother took more of the waif/victim approach. Ex-H very grandiose/overt narc, and is at least upfront in that he's an "unapologetic a-hole" (his words!) but can play waif to get his way. Current H more passive/covert, and love-bombed the heck out of me when we first met, but his aggressive/overt side comes out when he's triggered. It took me years to realize cocky ex-H and seemingly more humble 2nd H operate at the same base level. Now I can't un-see it!

Reading your description of the traits, I feel like I missed quite a few in my original post 🤣 My stbx checks ALL those boxes for sure. My father especially checks the never wrong box.

Covert narcs seem a lot harder to spot, which is why I think it took me so long to realize my dad and stbx are the same type of beast. They are coming from the same place anyway. That must be difficult to deal with for you. How are things with your current H?

Justanotherlostgirl

Quote from: Poison Ivy on October 25, 2021, 08:24:24 PM
I'm a woman. I think I married my mother and my father. The only person in my or my ex-husband's family who I think had an NPD was my ex's late father.

Admittedly, I probably should have phrased it differently. Of course, your SO could resemble either, and we have lots of LGBT relationships too, so the way I phrased it wasn't meant to offend, just the easiest way to say what I was thinking. I modified the post anyway to be more inclusive.

Do you have any thoughts as to why you ended up with your ex? If you didn't grow up with a lot of PD behavior, I'm just curious how you believe you became involved with this type of person?

You don't have to answer if that makes you uncomfortable, I just find the parallels/ differences in people's experiences interesting.

Poison Ivy

I wasn't offended; I just wanted to be clear about my gender, in case that might be relevant.

I think I was attracted to my ex because he was interested in me, and I had never dated anyone before I dated him, and I didn't think anyone else would want to marry me. In other words, I was young and stupid and lacking in self-worth. Now I'm old, I have a bit more self-worth, and I'm wiser.

Call Me Cordelia

Wow, Poison Ivy, you described exactly how I think both my sisters ended up with their uPDSOs. My one sister in particular married someone who is really unsettlingly like our father. Manipulative, lies as easily as he breathes, rewrites history, sanctimonious posturing, pretends to be religious but just uses it to pad his image, pretends to be egalitarian but is really a chauvinist pig. Both specialize in financial abuse.

I did not marry a uPD, although my in-laws family is chock full of 'em. I married an ACON. I only seriously dated one other person before my husband, and he is also an ACON. Of course I didn't know what an ACON or PD was until I was married for ten years. DH and I are coming Out of the FOG more or less together.

I am evenly split between INFJ and ENFJ. I think the NF (intuitive feeling) types are more likely than others to seek out a forum like this, and verbally process what they've been going through. I'm not sure whether we are more likely to experience abusive relationships, more likely to talk about it in a visible way, or both.

11JB68

I totally feel like I married my mother (uPdh)!!!
:stars:

Aeon

Been married twice and both times I married my mother.
I thought I learned my lesson on the second marriage when I married my best friend (that's what I thought he was) but both times, egotistical, liars, no real self there for me, no empathy, I was always the scapegoat.
I honestly don't know how I did it unless there is a mark on scapegoat children that only PD's can see.

Cascade

I wish I had married someone like my father, but instead I married someone who was almost the opposite of my father.

Justanotherlostgirl

Quote from: Poison Ivy on October 25, 2021, 08:41:10 PM
I wasn't offended; I just wanted to be clear about my gender, in case that might be relevant.

I think I was attracted to my ex because he was interested in me, and I had never dated anyone before I dated him, and I didn't think anyone else would want to marry me. In other words, I was young and stupid and lacking in self-worth. Now I'm old, I have a bit more self-worth, and I'm wiser.

Interesting. I also have this particular issue (low self worth). I'm glad you're wiser. I like to think all of us here have grown and matured considerably just from being on this board :) and of course dealing with PD's!

Justanotherlostgirl

Quote from: Call Me Cordelia on October 25, 2021, 09:06:08 PM
Wow, Poison Ivy, you described exactly how I think both my sisters ended up with their uPDSOs. My one sister in particular married someone who is really unsettlingly like our father. Manipulative, lies as easily as he breathes, rewrites history, sanctimonious posturing, pretends to be religious but just uses it to pad his image, pretends to be egalitarian but is really a chauvinist pig. Both specialize in financial abuse.

I did not marry a uPD, although my in-laws family is chock full of 'em. I married an ACON. I only seriously dated one other person before my husband, and he is also an ACON. Of course I didn't know what an ACON or PD was until I was married for ten years. DH and I are coming Out of the FOG more or less together.

I am evenly split between INFJ and ENFJ. I think the NF (intuitive feeling) types are more likely than others to seek out a forum like this, and verbally process what they've been going through. I'm not sure whether we are more likely to experience abusive relationships, more likely to talk about it in a visible way, or both.

That is probably true about INFJ and other similar types. Don't want to bother others and feel more comfortable typing than talking 🤣

Justanotherlostgirl

Quote from: Aeon on October 25, 2021, 09:51:37 PM
I thought I learned my lesson on the second marriage when I married my best friend (that's what I thought he was) but both times, egotistical, liars, no real self there for me, no empathy, I was always the scapegoat.
I honestly don't know how I did it unless there is a mark on scapegoat children that only PD's can see.

Oh no Aeon! I am so scared of that 🤯 I don't think it's strange at all, somehow they are drawn to people who have narcissistic parents it seems. How are you doing now? Still Witt your second husband?

Justanotherlostgirl

Quote from: 11JB68 on October 25, 2021, 09:08:25 PM
I totally feel like I married my mother (uPdh)!!!
:stars:

It's such a weird feeling when you realize! Do you think that means we are stunted emotionally somehow too that we feel most comfortable with PD's 😳

Andeza

I flip back and forth between INTJ and INTP by five percentage points, but always with the assertive trait addon.

I did not marry a man like either of my parents, but rather like myself. We're both extremely logical people and hate the exaggerations of pwPDs. My mom is uBPD, and my dad is a recovering enabler. M was the epitome of the waif/ Hermit type. Medical drama, took joy in other people's drama, magical thinking, black and white thinking, no real grasp on reality and not a logical bone in her body.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

SonofThunder

Quote from: Aeon on October 25, 2021, 09:51:37 PM

For this reason (self-knowledge) if i ever become single, i will not remarry. I believe having grown up with my uPDf and them married him in female form, that i am 'damaged goods'.  I do not believe i would ever trust real spousal love and i dont desire to inflict my damages on another person.  I will instead, focus on the love i HAVE experienced, with my own children and from my mother and brother.

Therefore assisting her in her last years and being available for my adult children, brother and his family, my very few close friends (im an INTJ and love it!) and neighbors, while loving myself enough in improving my mental and physical health, will be my true focus. 

This trait of marrying into a PD just like a parent, is mentioned as a 'caretaker' attribute in Fjelstad's fantastic book 'Stop Caretaking the Borderline or Narcissist' fyi

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

square

INTJ is supposed to be the rarest type, but it's the one I see mentioned most often - not just here.

I wonder if INTJs are the type most likely to know what they are, lol.

Lauren17

I absolutely married my father, for all my YA conviction I wouldn't.  I don't think my father had a PD, but Why Does He Do That? actually reminded me more of Dad than stbxh.

Same
Never wrong
King of their castle
Prone to anger
Invalidating
Belittling
Teased until you cried

Different.
Dad directed you to see he was in the right. Stbxh convinces.
Dad raged. Stbxh seethes
Dad insulted. Stbhx mocks

I've tested INTJ before, most recently I got ISFJ.

Yes, I think us SG have a mark. It makes sense. A personality who is never wrong would be drawn to someone who accepts responsibility for everyone and everything.
I've cried a thousand rivers. And now I'm swimming for the shore" (adapted from I'll be there for you)