How to avoid toxic workplace?

Started by BefuddledClarity, October 06, 2021, 01:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BefuddledClarity

Hey, I'm currently job searching. I've jumped from toxic workplace to toxic workplace, from micromanaging boss to another micromanaging boss.

Have been getting bullied at the current workplace I'm at. I'm thinking of freelancing but...based on my current situation, I need a "regular, stable" job.

I reported my boss twice to HR(via email, we haven't been able to talk, it's frustrating trying to call & reach them, we keep leaving each other voicemails..), and she already has complaints from different job agencies against her, but nothing has been done. Most of the staff here are rude as well, especially one particular coworker in my department who's worked here many years and another coworker from a different department, also worked here many years, quit, then came back a week after quitting to go join her work cliche again.

I missed some days of work due to sickness, and when I came back, got scolded for not knowing about meetings that were going on and received conflicting emails stating different things about XYZ. I asked for clarification and got asked in a snarky tone about whether I read the email or not without getting a real answer.

Another time...I made a post about this actually---I was dealing with DV and went to court, I called out and advised it was due to personal issues and got scolded by the boss for not coming in when I could have been fatally injured based on that event...

There's staffing members that tell me to just deal with it, talk about me behind my back, give me smug responses when I ask a question(I'm new and not well trained by this boss who's on her phone all day and not helping us, so I don't know how certain procedures work), etc. I got told by the friendlier coworkers that those coworkers feel threatened by me because I'm young(er) and smart(er) and might take their jobs???? I don't even care about their damn jobs(shit, I already work here at THIS job position, how the hell can I "steal" their job??), I just care about helping the workplace become more efficient and helping those who need help without being a smug-ass about it. There's a lot of outdated training materials and too many papers that say or mean nothing practical to someone who's new or needs a reference sheet...past jobs I've mentored others and made training material...I have tech background as well, but they shoot me down here saying that's unnecessary.

There's more I could say but I don't want to say more in case the examples may sound too specific. But I will say she has made some lies that almost affected my pay and I called her out and said who my witnesses were. I'm at an agency, they pay me, not the company the agency hired me for.

Anyways.....

Questions...

1) What do you look for in a job?

2) What are some red flags while job searching or interviewing?

3)  Any particular questions you ask in an interview to gauge if the job is good or not?

4) How is your current workplace?

5) Have you ever quit a job without anything lined up? Or would you quit a job without anything lined up?

Hazy111

This is a tough one.

I dont think you really know until you work there.   I had the most paranoid bullying sociopath PD of  a boss, who would blatantly lie in interviews telling people they would be finished by three. Most of the guys go off and play golf !   The complete opposite was true  long long hours spent avoiding his mad paranoid projections, bullying  and control freekery. 

I did leave the job eventually without having another lined up which i dont regret , it was all too much, but financially i was able to do so. I had done this before as the firm i was working for was going bust and they stopped paying my expenses and commission. A guy in accounts tipped me off . They were also a bunch of psychopaths. Good luck 

Unknown

Quote from: BefuddledClarity on October 06, 2021, 01:05:43 AM
Questions...

1) What do you look for in a job?

I am in my late 40's, so I may be looking for something different than you are. I am looking for a healthy, work environment with co-workers who lift one another up, a healthy mix of ages, not tear one another down. Healthy meaning, people are secure in themselves and not behaving in manipulative, insecure, behaviors. As far as a boss goes, someone who is a servant leader, who genuinely understands that a good leader gets their boots on the ground, and who is mature, with enough EI that landed them the leadership role. Capable, competent, fair and honest.

I have not found that yet. (not in the last 15 years anyway).

2) What are some red flags while job searching or interviewing?
When they move the goalposts regarding job expectations. Either in multiple interviews, or worse, after you take the job.
When you ask direct questions and they dodge, deflect and otherwise do NOT answer your direct question.
When the job requirements are not listed or "subject to change".
When you ask for the job description and  "they don't have one" to give you
When they want to take take take take but give nothing (tangible) that you can see : meaning what benefits for you of even working there
when they move the goalposts. Say one thing in the job description, another in the interview. Or one thing in one interview, and something totally different (about the job expectations) in another interview. (Or when the goalposts change once you take the job. That there is an eye-opener for sure but then it's too late!)
When they say things like "our team is like family". That has always been a RED waving FLAG to me!  That spells out TOXIC and that they take advantage of their employees. No, work should not be "like family." It is NOT family, it is work.
When details are omitted and (again) when they leave out details (hours, expectations) that if known, would make people immediately flee if known. In other words, if they are not TRANSPARENT. However, I have found more often than not, employers more and more are becoming less transparent and just shady. This is a big red flag.

3)  Any particular questions you ask in an interview to gauge if the job is good or not?

Direct, questions that inquire about the culture, the boss's management style (how would she/he handle xyz with an employee and see how they'd answer).  The very best tips I have ever received are from The Companies Expert on Youtube. He is phenomenal and on point with any and every question you'd have. Check him out!

4) How is your current workplace?

Not good. the company I work for is contracted by different cities- and I go and sub for many- and have quickly found that they can give a rat's a$$ about me- they just want a warm body to show up and 'sub" with zero support.  In this role,  In 7 hours, I get NO breaks, NO lunch, No time to pee, not even a chance to take a SIP of water. Because there is no one else in my role, I get no support.
Not good. This is NOT good. I am currently in the midst of notifying the company (who hired me that contracts with the cities) about this-  depending on their response and the level of concern they have regarding the issues I've brought to them,  will indicate to me my next steps.
I have only been there 6 weeks, and every shift I pick up has been a living nightmare. I don't know if I am just unlucky and walking into these " explosive land mines" because they need a "sub" (due to the underlying toxicity of their people calling in sick often), or if it is just bad luck. Either way, it sucks and if something does not change for the better, I am leaving.
5) Have you ever quit a job without anything lined up? Or would you quit a job without anything lined up?
Yes to #5, I have posted about this, before.... several years ago, I quit an extremely toxic work environment only to go into another one   - this time with a covert narcissist- which tremendously affected my self-confidence and overall mental health. I was there for 16 long, miserable months.  It was so bad, I had no choice but to quit without another job. I have a partner that allowed me to do this. However, I have not found anything since - until I recently got called about being a substitute-  I thought ok, I can handle that... let's see how things go... I have only been working 2 days a week and each day has been absolutely awful. I cannot last much longer. Nobody sane or who has a modicum of self-respect can work under these conditions, long term. And, nobody should have to!  ....Many companies are experts at camouflage.

I don't have much advice only what I've already said- you have to do you. Only you can make that decision but I caution you to put yourself FIRST- your wellbeing and what you DESERVE. Everyone deserves to work in a safe, work environment, with reasonable accommodations for (whatever). If you do not feel safe or do not feel like you are thriving, (or capable of thriving in a poor environment) , after attempts at it, then the best thing to do is get out.  Sorry you are going thru this.

KeepingMyBlue

198 views and 2 replies. I wish I had some good answers, but it's a good riddle! Every healthy workplace I've worked in (a whopping 2!) has been a "punishment department" and full of people that just mind their business and focus on the job. I had to wade through the muck of a toxic place to get exiled, and had the constant threat of getting recalled, so I don't recommend it as a strategy.

I'm very interested in the solution as well!