Too early God forbid

Started by 11JB68, December 26, 2021, 09:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11JB68

This was a mashup of Updh and updfil and their very similar issues. All about them.
Updh didn't want to miss any of the big game, so insisted we go to fil about 2 hours earlier than usual. We always call when we are about 10-15 minutes away.
DS and I go in first and get bombarded by complaints about how early we are, should have called earlier to let him know, he was flustered from having to clean up (??) Before we arrived etc.
Really laid into me.
Then Updh Comes in and more of the same, but lower key.
As if it's my job, responsibility, fault.... As if I'm in charge of anything ...
Then Updh is annoyed that fil is annoyed. Then the usual doom and gloom from fil about the game, also annoying to Updh.
Then got to listen to Updh complain on the way home.
Oh joy.

bloomie

11JB68 - that sounds miserable to be caught in the middle of. Very difficult to rally and salvage a good time with all of that simmering around you. I am really sorry that happened.
The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.

moglow

Two hours earlier with no notice was a bit much - your husb should have told his dad ahead of time! That's ALL on him and you shouldn't have had to take the fall for it. I'm not sure but what I'd just decline next time altogether, let them have some bonding time and you get a break.
I'm just glad it's over for you for now.
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Hilltop

Sounds like poor communication on your Dh's end.  He really should have let his dad know what time he was going to arrive and why.  He could have just said he would be over early to watch the game.

I'm sorry you had to listen to your FIL ranting at you, it really was nothing to do with you and it would have been hard to find any festive spirit after that.  It sounds very stressful.